ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali QuintanaCNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:26:22 pm

Cnn and other channels are using a lot of red colors, colors that would traditionally be avoided such as BRIGHT RED and ORANGE are seen
a lot on TV these days.

How is this done within the concept of broadcast safe colors?

I would love to know. I really like the bright reds etc, but cant seem to get them while staying within the safe areas.

Ali Quintana

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:06:38 pm

Designers use Vectorscopes to avoid oversaturated colors. There's a vectorscope in Color Finesse, and a handy one-trick pony for AE & Photoshop called Scopo Gigio (I think it's still available).

In all cases, make sure the scopes are set up for the appropriate broadcasting system!

In the USA, that means NTSC, and NTSC works from a Waveform Monitor video level black of 16-16-16 to a white of 235-235-235. Set color saturation for the Vectorscope to 75% Bars, not 100% Bars. Of the two, it's more important to get the vectorscope right. Most NLE's have software proc amps that sort out video levels properly. But not color saturation.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ali QuintanaRe: CNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:30:06 pm

Yes thanks, I use the color finesse scopes. All of them. It is
a great tool.

Evert hing you mention I basically do. Still I dont seem to be able to get those bright reds and orange without going into unsafe areas.

I also see the bright reds on BBC. Mostly used in animated logos etc.

I would love to be able to get these colors as well.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:37:42 pm

I suggest you do a screen grab of a broadcast (if you can get that on your computer), and then run it through the scopes in Color Finesse. I'll bet you find that everything is legal. There's also an effect(I think it's in the Utilities in AE), which will adjust your colors for the various broadcast standards, and show you where there are problems:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CNNs bright REDs ...broadcast safe colors???
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:04:42 pm

[Ali Quintana] "I also see the bright reds on BBC. Mostly used in animated logos etc. I would love to be able to get these colors as well."

Here's the trick the BBC uses: they begin with fully-saturated reds, and then the MAKE THEM DARKER. The result: a nice, bright and legal red, but darker than you'd think. Try the trick yourself, and check it out in Color Finesse.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]