ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After FX lightning changes from one computer to another

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Neel
After FX lightning changes from one computer to another
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24:01 pm

Hello all

I've encountered a strange problem. I created a lightning effect on a solid in a project, saved the project, and copied the project to another computer. When I opened the project on the new computer the lightning looks completely different. Mind you, this is only when I select "bouncey" from the lightning type - the other types ("strike", "direction", etc) don't seem to change at all. My best guess is that one of my After FX preferences is different between the two computers but I have no idea what it might be. Any ideas?

Using After FX CS4, 9.0.3.8

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
Re: After FX lightning changes from one computer to another
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:58:12 pm

I was reading where different types of computers generate different effect parameters, or not at all. IE: PC to MAC.

I do know that I have a Dell PC that is kinda weak in Ram and GPU. Some effects are not available or never rendered correctly compared to me new homemade PC W.S.
On that note I would have to think GPU, CUDA, and ability. Especially if the 2nd computer (same type, pc or mac) is a smaller unit....

S.Faris
http://www.NetCommercial.Net

Return to posts index

Michael Neel
Re: After FX lightning changes from one computer to another
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:20:01 pm

I think you might be on to something with regards to GPU, CUDA, and ability. The project was created on a new(er) iMac and transferred to an older Mac G5. For this project, I've been primarily using psds and very few effects, so that might be why I haven't seen this issue before when taking a project from one computer to another. The only difference between the computers I've seen on this project is in the G5's faster rendering time and superior ability to handle larger compositions when rendering.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Fortunately it turns out that these shots don't have to be rendered until I am using the iMac again, so I should be able to end up with the lightning effects I originally intended. But if I were under a time crunch this could be really annoying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]