ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha_RotoScoping_Actor_Asset_Planar_Track

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Faris
Mocha_RotoScoping_Actor_Asset_Planar_Track
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:46:10 am

Hi thanks for looking,
I am trying to add an asset on a wall that an actor walks in front of the asset. Well, that is my challenge.

I have footage shot with an actor walking in front of a wall of windows doors etc. I need to place a sign (asset) in the movie and have the actor walk in front of the sign and cross in front of the sign. Green Screen would be the trick here. However I do not have the background shot and actor on separate tracks. My brain is stuck...I cannot figure how to achieve this.

I tried rotoscoping via a Mocha+ mamoworld video along with a Chapter 5 showing rotoscoping of a boys head and some BMW's, Devins Boat in the water tracker too.
Still none showed an actor in the foreground as much as Mamoworld's 1.30hr tutorial. Dr Matias' only has a partial head in his shot. My actor cuts straight through the path and eclipses it for a frame or three. It also toss my Planar when he cuts in my track. Yes I have the wall on layer two and actor on layer one to be in the foreground.
\My brain is stuck and I cannot seem to figure the right (if any) solution. My actor as of now walks behind, the asset. Please tell me it is an easy fix I am not seeing.

S.Faris
http://www.NetCommercial.Net

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Mocha_RotoScoping_Actor_Asset_Planar_Track
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:32:01 pm

Well I'm having a hard time figuring out where you're stuck. But from the description, I would rotoscope the actor within AE with its roto brush tool (have you tried that?). Then track the feature to be replaced.

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:53:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Cassius. I have not tried that method. I will watch some video on that tool and see if that will do it. For clarity.

I want to place a sign on a wall between the actor and the background which is all on one track. Not Green Screen.
Think: Actor walking in front of a building-
Me- To add a sign on that building, then the actor walks by (in front) sign posted on the building.

When the actor walks in front of the sign (or supposed to) the actor appears to walk behind the sign. Cutting off his upper body when passing it. Due to 2d and not 3d.

I am looking for a fix to it if there is one? I tried as mentioned above, not even sure that will get it done, due to 2d and not having the actor separate from the Back Ground?

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:46:23 pm

The roto brush tool does exactly that. Though I wouldn't call it "a fix" because there's a lot of manual adjustments to be done when using that tool. And it ain't begginers friendly. You should see some tutorials on it and try it out. There's no other way to do what you want but to manually mask the actor out(roto tool in this case will assist you with that)

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:18:32 pm

Thanks for that. Glad to know I am in the right direction and it is doable. Was not sure.
I Will take a close look at it and see how RotoScoping works. The good stuff always needs to be done by hand usually, anyways. In some form or fashion.
I was not getting a good mask in AEMocha as the two masks were conflicting with one another..I was thinking about it today, if I could mask out my actor. Then lay what I want on that background then mask him back on a top on his own layer, I should be able to get what I wanted.
Regards,
NC

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:13:03 pm

You should track the talent first. Then use it as a Subtract Matte when tracking the windows. Ensure that the Subtract Matte sits at the very top of mocha's Layer Controls Panel and that its Process switch is set to off - to prevent a second round of tracking for the Subtract Matte layer.

This should work well unless the windows are largely occluded by the talent. Then it's a case of looking at Offset Tracking a co-planar area or even manual tracking for those frames where mocha is not able to obtain sufficient planar data.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:30:44 am

Thank you Roland,
I will try that. I keep getting my track kicked halfway through it. My talent does not walk direct in front of it, but does skim by it. I will search around for the proper steps to do a Subtract Matte. My track loss comes from a bump in the video, to a pan. My mask gets kicked in mocha at that point.
SF

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:22:13 am

Take a look at tis tutorial - . Terms such as Subtract Matte, Holdout Matte and in this case, Foreground Obstructions are used interchangeably - keep this in mind should you want to search for other relevant turorials.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:08:27 pm

Roland,
Excellent, Very helpful detailed video. One of the better ones thus far, I have watched at least 6 of these by now and pick up something different in each one. Appreciate the direct link. Nothing better then an example over an explanation via type.
Regards
SF

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:45:17 am

So I have been working on this for a week now... I am not having any luck. I have used a subtract matte, making sure it is locked and the gear Icon off as to not re-track. The subtract matte is also atop of the layer stack to ensure Mocha realizes it is foreground.

I have tried to crank up the smoothing, get my head around the track tools below. With Master track and add. NO luck. I tried to manually track but I cannot figure on how to keep my matte to stay put. It is as though the matte is tied to the camera lens instead of the building. I have moved the matte to different places and all sorts of deviations. However once the camera does a pan as the actor walks the matte follows it. That is with the actor matted out as described above.

I am so frustrated with this track it is driving me nuts. I watched an imagineer tutorial showing a "post" in the foreground and the instructor manually keyframing it.
When I try to manually KF it the Matte is un moveable... as a whole. I was going to try to move it a frame forward and reset matte, repeat. But I cannot move the matte it just stays off track. OR I can only move one vertice or spline position at a time, creating even more of a fiasco.

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:40:47 pm

It's best that you post screen caps of the following -

1) Layer Controls Panel

2) Tracking spline (for us to appreciate how you've drawn tracking spline)

3) Planar Surface to depict the Corner Pin (points) that you intend to export via the Tracking Spline (in 2, above)

4)A frame where the foreground object/person begins to intrude into the Tracking Spline (in 2, above)

5) THE frame where the foreground object/person intrudes THE MOST into the Tracking Spline (in 2, above)

Of course post the entire clip, as an additional, if you can.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:06:50 pm

HI RoRK,

I am not sure if I can post pics on this site? Here is a link to Adobe where I was also asking about this challenge. http://forums.adobe.com/message/5388417#5388417 If you scroll down towards the bottom you will see my screen grabs of Foreground actor in Green and Splines or placement of track in Red/Blue.
I am trying to find a good tutorial on manual tracking as I have given up on auto track. If you look at that link and scroll down to the bottom you will see how my track jumps off the building, NO matter where I place that track, smooth it, or add sub tracks to it it still jumps. Hence the idea of manual track.
Yet, when I try to adjust the manual track, I have no control of it as a whole track via marquee the shape to slide back into position as it moves forward frame by frame.
I am discovering little secrets not divulged in these tutorials. IE: You must create a sub-comp to use corner pin of an asset. Not to just cut and paste your tracking data into an asset. As Mamoworld did with his logo on a monitor. I am using AE cs6 with the bundled Mocha, maybe that is it?
Regards
SF

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 15, 2013 at 1:35:14 am

I suggest that you start from scratch then do the following -

1) track the foreground object (man) with a loose tracking spline. Keyframe the tracking spline as often as needed to ensure that the foreground object is always enclosed within the tracking spline.

2) create a new tracking spline for the background. you have lots of co-planar areas to track. therefore, use multiple tracking splines when tracking the background - you should use the Add X-spline (or B-spline) tool to add a second or subsequent tracking spline onto the same layer. Ensure that your tracking splines here are sufficiently close to the area you want to track - this is to ensure that you do not force/ask mocha to track superfluous movement in the background.

3) track the background layer once the tracking splines are in place. it is always a good idea to begin your track at the frame which gives mocha the most pixel information. When tracking the background, ensure that the foreground layer sits at the very top of the Layer Controls Panel - and ensure that it's Process switch (cog icon) is off, to disable tracking it again.

You shouldn't require Manual Tracking unless your foreground object fully covers the background tracking area. Even then you will only require a few frames of Manual Tracking when auto tracking is impossible to achieve.

What you should try to do at the end of your tracking procedures is to use mocha's Adjust Track module/tab/feature to tweak your results - if required.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 15, 2013 at 3:45:54 am

RoRK,

I uploaded a few pics, but do not see anything more then that one in that Zip file. I have tried a new project 5 times thus far.
Can you tell if that is a Parallax shot or not? I tried to figure that out for tracking reasons, but I cannot tell? I read the definition but do not know how to tell if a shot is parallax after the shot has been taken? Thanks for the follow up on this thread.
SF

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 15, 2013 at 4:07:36 am

I don't see a zip file. If you can, upload the footage soon, I'll give it a go. However, please go through the steps I laid out in my previous post before doing anything else. It's pointless telling me that you've done something a hundred times if you do not do what I've asked you to do - just give it a try.

At each step, think carefully what you are doing and why you are doing it - this introspective analysis will help you to solve other tricky tracking shots in the future.

The occasion of parallax is not required for successful 2D (2.5D) motion tracking. Its only relevance is in defining co-planar regions which may be used for Offset Tracking. Offset Tracking is a tracking strategy where you pick a co-planar area for tracking when the main tracking area is occluded by a foreground object for a sufficiently long duration.

When the foreground occlusion is minimal, in terms of duration, combining Manual Tracking with auto tracking is oftentimes a better solution (but this depends on the experience and skill of the user).

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 15, 2013 at 5:17:04 am

Thank you RoRK,
I will be giving it, yet my 6th try tomorrow. I am sure you would be able to get it done. You are probably using 3.0 or better as well. While I am using 2.4.
I have asked about a loose track in other forums and as you stated; "Make sure you encompass the unwanted foreground." I did a half screen mask previous. Cut the whole bottom off from floor to top of actor's head.

I asked about parallax to pick more, or better submasks (whatever they are called) Having more then one spline in a layer. From what I gather it is when a camera angle switches angles. Instead of a pan from top to middle, while keeping the top and middle in 'frame', conversely a pan from top to bottom would cause a parallax.

The Zip file is a couple posts back, a screen grab. it is atop of the post earlier today. Funny I posted 4 more pics as you requested but for some reason I did not see those.
I will let you know how it goes. The only difference on this next try will be a culmination of sub masks added to the track layer. As close to the desired area as possible.
Regards & Thanks,
SF
P.S dont have the grabs on this computer to repost.

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:08:57 am

OK RoRK,

I re tracked. Had some luck. One of two differences. I tried to track at the best point as suggested opposed to start or end. I waited and used the part where the track would fly off. Moved a couple frames ahead of that and tracked to the end before trying to track back over that 'whippy part' where the track constantly would jump. I also used the subtract drop down for the Foreground track. I am not sure if the Subtract has any consequences?

I tracked the Building in mind of not the final spot where I want to Roto or use my corner pin. I instead used an area as you suggested, not to far from the final comp, yet be concerned with having a good track nearby, using a sub mask. (as pictured)

I then used a Roto for the desired spot and linked it to my B.ground track.
Following along this vid
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/04_advanced_tracking.m4v/view

Used the adjust track as you can see the many KF's (Ripple Pic) to keep that one roto spline track still. I then exported using both corner pin (Bottom pics) export options taking care to export the adjusted track export. With no luck.
I place the tracking data into a like sized comp as you can see in the screen grabs. Where I tried 3 different ways of using the Blur, and Shear option of Corner Pin. Along with a Raw export of NON Adjusted track data to see if that was a hinder.

My end result is that of data that makes my sign so small and is not visible with fly away's half way through. Leaving me to re size the sign to only fly away

*Note: I also had a weird challenge in Mocha where I was using the adjust track and the Zoom windows show on point where my mask shows a ripple in the track (See PIC Ripple)

Please take a look at my screen grabs with open layers to maybe find where I am going wrong if you would?

Export gives me a balled up track.

3RD Try with Perspective ON

Mocha Screen Grab for the above result

Back Ground Track Which the Roto's are linked to.

That Ripple I got in Mocha Adjust Track where my Zoom Views are on but my track is Not

Example of Track flying off intended area

Corner Pin Export with Blur

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:06:06 am

It's impossible to tell what you are doing wrong if you do not follow the instructions I have provided in an earlier post. Here is what I posted earlier -

1) track the foreground object (man) with a loose tracking spline. Keyframe the tracking spline as often as needed to ensure that the foreground object is always enclosed within the tracking spline.

2) create a new tracking spline for the background. you have lots of co-planar areas to track. therefore, use multiple tracking splines when tracking the background - you should use the Add X-spline (or B-spline) tool to add a second or subsequent tracking spline onto the same layer. Ensure that your tracking splines here are sufficiently close to the area you want to track - this is to ensure that you do not force/ask mocha to track superfluous movement in the background.

3) track the background layer once the tracking splines are in place. it is always a good idea to begin your track at the frame which gives mocha the most pixel information. When tracking the background, ensure that the foreground layer sits at the very top of the Layer Controls Panel - and ensure that it's Process switch (cog icon) is off, to disable tracking it again.

You shouldn't require Manual Tracking unless your foreground object fully covers the background tracking area. Even then you will only require a few frames of Manual Tracking when auto tracking is impossible to achieve.

What you should try to do at the end of your tracking procedures is to use mocha's Adjust Track module/tab/feature to tweak your results - if required.

Follow each step and let me know of the results at the end of each step. You only require two layers, the foreground and the background to get the tracking data into AE.

The roto for the foreground (3rd layer) and come later - once you've got a solid track. Let's concentrate on the track for now.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:12:31 pm

I Opened AE and imported into Mocha as a new project. Did you want me to re-render my MTS files into JPG2000 then restart? I restarted the whole project as well as do not have Cache files checked. Using my original MTS to JPG 2000 .mov

I did follow your instructions.... My only add was a second (+ X Spline) tied to the same BG Layer... for a better track or more information to track... (See BG pic)

As mentioned I used the foreground track making sure to keep the man encapsulated in the track. Which I used the subtract drop down, as mentioned for that foreground track. Which I asked if there were any consequences to using the subtract matte for the Foreground track, albeit set as a top layer anyways. See (BG pic) for track of man, caring to keep shadow encapsulated too.

This is how I ended up asking you about the Ripple that occurred, even though the zoom windows show on track the Planar or Matte shows a ripple (See Pic)
That is what I did....? See (Pic Ripple) with adjust track Tab being utilized

It's impossible to tell what you are doing wrong if you do not follow the instructions I have provided in an earlier post. Here is what I posted earlier -
I have posted 7 detailed pics for your review to see what went wrong on the export? However you are under the impression I did not follow your instructions. Rather I did, with one exception as mentioned "about the subtract matte" and being at the top of the stack as aforementioned...Yet after reading, it seems that is a null point due to the hierarchy of the stacked layers. FG being atop. Do you think that is an issue? Using Subtract Matte on the foreground even though it is atop the stack? Imagineer videos say NO. That is the ONLY deviation of your explicit instructions, as I laid it out above using Bold and underlines. Your thoughts?

Appreciate any help on the bad export data. Hence me giving thorough responses and pics, for your review.

Regards,
Simon

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 18, 2013 at 12:08:22 am

This is a better reply Simon. Now I can read, in context, what you're doing in relation to the steps I've proposed.

[Simon Faris] "Yet after reading, it seems that is a null point due to the hierarchy of the stacked layers. FG being atop."

FG must always be at the top of the Layer Controls Panel. To be safe, use the tracked FG layer and not the tighter spline of the FG which I assume you linked to the originally tracked FG.

Selecting Subtract Matte is not required as mocha is programmed to use any layer above the currently tracked layer as a Subtract Matte.

[Simon Faris] "Using Subtract Matte on the foreground even though it is atop the stack? Imagineer videos say NO."

You must have misunderstood this. What Imagineer meant was what I said in the previous para on the redundancy of explicitly specifying a layer as a Subtract Matte.

Here are a couple more tips -
1) You can view mocha's Track Matte to see exactly which area(s) mocha tracks. mocha's nomenclature for a Track Matte is quite different from AE's or other apps. For mocha, a Track Matte defines the tracking area.

See the top-left of the screen cap below on how to set up the Mattes menu to view the Track Matte of selected layers.

The canvas area clearly shows that the head of the FG has been excluded from the Track Matte. This means that the FG (head) area will not be tracked.

The last tip is to set/resize your insert clip to fit the size of the tracking comp. Then precomp the insert layer PRIOR to applying mocha's tracking data.

BTW, use the Adjust Track only as and when required, ie when your track is less perfect.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:59:26 am

RoRK,
Good we are in agreement on my steps and your instructions. I understand Subtract matte.

I do not understand this:

RoRK-The last tip is to set/resize your insert clip to fit the size of the tracking comp. Then precomp the insert layer PRIOR to applying mocha's tracking data.

Simon-Do you mean placing my helpwanted sign in it's own Pre comp that matched the footage then placing that precomp into the final comp of the same matching settings of, in this case 1920x1080? I did that. See the pic you used as an example you will see a pre comp labeled helpwanted in the final comp. Paying attention to the setting of 1920x1080....

Still leaving me a bad export of a fly around track... Not staying on target
Thanks for the help
Simon

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:05:05 pm

Ensure that your insert clip fits the tracking footage's comp size - by this I mean that your insert clip not only has to reside in a comp which is of the same size as the tracking footage BUT the insert clip's edges has to hug the perimeter of the comp.

You can do this simply/quickly by selecting the footage and hitting the CTRL+ALT+F - of course do this in the precomp.

BTW, I am assuming that you've got a good looking track in mocha, ie no more bumps and such?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:46:47 pm

Hi RoRK,
Do you mean that my asset / insert clip, should be HUGE as is the comp? Say; 1920x1080? I am using Pre-comps, which I pre-sized the asset inside a 1920x1080 pre-comp as mentioned earlier and am not getting anything but a very small import, like a small ball of incoherent, asset. Is that what you mean? Is that why I am getting a Tiny asset or insert clip?

As far as a non bump track. I do not know what I have ended up with yet. Due to the imported track flies off target, as shown in the pics.

The Track is good in Mocha, well OK, as I had to adjust the KF's as aforementioned in a couple other earlier replies. However, I still have a track that flies off Target.(Not in Mocha but in AE) Is that because of the pre-comp question above? Along with a weird Ripple I asked about, but was not addressed. See (Ripple Pic) I wanted to insert it into AE to get a look at the final result before re tracking over and over in Mocha and maybe that ripple won't be seen. Take a look at at that pic (Ripple Pic)
Thanks
SF

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:19:38 pm

OK RoRK,

I got it, thanks for your help. The conflict was the fact that I was able to Use Corner Pin Data in my first part of my comp. (Separate footage, albeit same setting) Part 1 I will call it. In Part one I able to export tracking data into two different assets (not in a comp of their own) and with luck they took the tracking data and looked good. When attempting the same steps in Part 2 (the part you have been helping me with) The data would not work in bare assets as they did with luck, as I did NOT place the assets in part 1 into their respective like size comps. (Got real lucky) Hence me not being able to understand why Part 2 was such a challenge. After recreating the assets, in AI at 1920x1080 and then importing them into AE, placing them in the assets in their own comp of 1920x1080. I was left with a HUGE asset that needed to be resized. Using your shortcut shared of ALT + CTRL + "F" it centered and sized my asset to 25% of it's imported size. I then pasted my Corner Pin Data with Supporting RG Warp into the comp and I had a good track. Thank you for your patience with me and re-assuring my steps on this.

I will say this about Mocha and their training videos, they overlooked that pre-comp step in many tutorials, along with a clear pointing out that your first track is not necessarily going to be your Spline, or asset track.
Where as in my case, I created a Solid Background Track then Linked to it using the Drop Dn menu to then adjusted and re-sized my final Spline that I used both the Planar (blue) tracker and Pink (grid) to get it dead on. Ran through it and then adjusted in (Adjust Track) Tab to further Hand KF the wobbles and hick ups. Also pointing out that a re-track is not needed as Mocha will interpret the first Track that the final spine is linked to and then adjust for Corner Pin if One is using it...

I am still a bit foggy on re-sizing my Pink Grid, once it goes to full screen (cannot find the shortcut) Not the amount of grids under View>Preferences but to shrink it back down as if just opened. Along with the difference between Corner pin with Blur or the Corner Pin with RG Warp?
In any case some one is trying to figure out errors in Mocha this last post on this thread has a bundle of information as does your input.
Best,
Simon
p.s look forward to any response on those last 2 questions?

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:08:52 am

Hi Simon, I'm glad you've got results that suit your needs. As for the question, it's a requirement that the insert clip share the same size as the tracking footage. Therefore, if your insert clip is of a different size, you should then resize it in a precomp. This isn't a mocha tracking data requirement but rather a manifestation of how the Corner Pin effect works.

There are actually two parts to the Corner Pin effect - (1) start points and (2) end points - for each of the four points. The end points are where mocha's tracking data ends up. The start points default to the size of the comp or the size of the tracking footage. Most users fail to see the importance of the start points and this is a great cause for confusion. If you take a look at the CC Power Pin effect, it has separate start and end points that are shown clearly.
This helps to overcome a lot of the confusion as well as allowing a user to resize the insert clip via the start points. This precludes having to precomp/next the insert clip.

I'm not sure about the second question as I'll have to take a look at all the variables before I can be certain of the issue.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Simon Faris
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:19:52 am

Again thank you Roland, appreciate it. As important as the corner pin data is to have the same size footage or for a sign, (as most are using the tracking for signs) One would think that Imagineer's training videos would mention that.

Well I learned quite a bit on this one.
Pre Comp for Corner Pin, Tracking not as a final spot but tracking for a solid track with the add a spline for better tracks and then adding another spline for the final tracks, the subtract matte drop down, Key framing for fine adjustments/adjusting a track, linking other assets to an Adjusted Track Spline (after spending time to dial in a spline, reuse it for another asset in the comp, if needed) what to watch for when shooting to then later track, etc...
Glad I learned this on a practice run (a buddies reel) instead of being under dead line....Thanks again for your patience.
Regards,
Simon

S.Faris

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33:15 am

I'm glad things have worked out for you. I suggest that you practice more often - 1 to 2 tracks each day; starting with easier tracks and then building on your skills with more difficult tracks.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]