ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GTX Titan in After Effects CS6 (OS X 10.8.3)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeno Costa
GTX Titan in After Effects CS6 (OS X 10.8.3)
on Jun 2, 2013 at 10:52:03 pm

GTX Titan Superclocked now running in OS X 10.8.3 using the latest NVIDIA Web Driver (313.01.01f03) and CUDA Driver Version 5.0.59.

I've modified the "raytracer_supported_cards.txt" file for After Effects CS 6 (11.0.2) to include the "GeForce GTX TITAN." However, After Effects reports the following error when starting up:

After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed (5070 :: 0)

Mylenium discusses the error in detail here:

http://myleniumerrors.com/2013/01/06/5070-0-3/

Removing "GeForce GTX TITAN" from the "raytracer_supported_cards.txt" file resolves the error message, however, this obviously renders the Titan useless for any ray-traced GPU acceleration within After Effects. Moreover, as expected, the "Ray-Traced 3D" renderer option is not available once After Effects has loaded.

Any thoughts on why After Effects is reporting this error and what the solution might be?

One final note, even with the startup error, After Effects successfully reports the GTX Titan under GPU Information (see attached image below), although again, the "Ray-Traced 3D" renderer option is not available.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: GTX Titan in After Effects CS6 (OS X 10.8.3)
on Jun 3, 2013 at 1:52:24 am

I'll give you the same answer here to this question that I gave in the other place where you asked:

That card is not one of the cards that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. By modifying that text file, you have put your system into an unsupported state.

See this page for details of GPU features in After Effects:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:45:37 pm

Couldn't the AE team try to keep up a little better on newly released cards and send out updates for them? I have a cloud membership and would assume WITH that, like Photoshop has updates to support newer/more camera models, etc, that AE would receive updates for newly released hardware.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:03:11 pm

We test and support specific hardware as we get requests for each card. We have gotten very few requests for this card so far.

You can make a request here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Zeno Costa
on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:27:11 am

No disrespect Todd, but limiting GPU support to only "user requests" is an inane policy, especially considering how much of the current Creative Suite/CC production software is dependent upon GPU acceleration.

I expect much more from a company like Adobe.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:55:38 am

Only one feature of After Effects is dependent on the GPU acceleration under discussion here. See this page for details, especially the "Important" note:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

It is not a significant feature to have this acceleration; yet the testing involved for each card is significant.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Zeno Costa
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:29:56 am

That "one feature" discussed in the "Important Note" is actually quite significant.

One of the most significant features released in After Effects CS6 was the Ray-Traced 3D renderer. And that is what the GPU accelerates with CUDA. Without CUDA acceleration, After Effects CS6's Ray-Traced 3D renderer's performance is nearly crippled, relying entirely on the CPU.

For reference of GPU vs. CPU ray-tracing performance, view the Radeon HD 5870's benchmark (i.e. a non-CUDA, CPU Ray-Traced 3D benchmark) under the After Effects CS6 benchmark results at Bare Feats:

http://www.barefeats.com/gpu680v2.html

The CPU-based render is nearly 1100% slower than the slowest CUDA card tested and the render failed to complete!!

Moreover, the subject of this thread is related to the Ray-Traced 3D renderer, which is supported by numerous NVIDIA GPUs, including the GTX 780 which was very recently released (see link below).

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1038010#1038026

It is extremely aggravating to see the GTX 780 "unofficially" supported in After Effects, but not the GTX Titan which shares the same GK110 GPU and has been retailing for a significantly longer period.

Also, I can appreciate that the testing for this acceleration is rigorous; perhaps there is a compromise where After Effects can "unofficially" support any CUDA card similarly to Premiere Pro CC.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-pr...

"Also, if you own a GPU that we haven’t officially tested, but which meets the minimum requirement of having 1GB of VRAM and appropriate drivers installed, you will be able to enable that GPU in Playback Settings. An alert warns you that your configuration isn’t officially certified, but you’ll still be able to turn it on to use it. All this means that more people than ever will be able to enjoy full, GPU-enhanced Mercury Playback Engine performance."

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:46:55 pm

> Also, I can appreciate that the testing for this acceleration is rigorous; perhaps there is a compromise where Adobe can "unofficially" support any CUDA card similarly to Premiere Pro CC.

We are working on that right now.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jean-Marie Belloteau
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:09:09 pm

Hello,

We have 2 GTX Titan in a PCIe expender for our Mac OSX station. We use them for DaVinci Resolve and it's work like a charm! It's so sad that we can't use them on Premiere or After Effect as Adobe software use CUDA like DaVinci and many other soft.
We just get creative cloud in my company and we loved to use the power of GTX Titan with Premiere and After Effects to help us with huge tiff file sequence render.

I hope Adobe guys still here and will you heard my bad frenchy English! :)

Thanks a lot

Jim

--
Jim Belloteau

Co-founder of Immersion Pictures
Head of Picture Department
http://www.immersion-pictures.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:12:26 pm

You can definitely use those cards in Premiere. Look under Project>Project Settings>General... And I think there is an option in there for you to chose unsupported cards.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Arnaud Paris
on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:21:15 pm

It's still a pity Adobe isn't listening more to its user base. This is not a silly request frankly considering the number of people using this card on OSX platforms. Especially as the GTX780 seems to be supported, then it really doesn't make any sense you need to make the Titan compatible.

Come on guys, just be fair player, we made our point here.

4K Red Digital Cinema in Paris
http://www.locared.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:18:16 pm

> It's still a pity Adobe isn't listening more to its user base.

Read my responses on this thread and tell me whether you still have this complaint:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1038661#1038674

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Dale Hersh
on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:24:23 pm

Hi Todd,

I have just installed a Gigabyte Titan and since doing so, AE CS6 is running incredibly slow, to the point where it is useless.

should be a screen shot showing GPU not available and CUDA greyed out.

Need a little help, as I can't see how my systen can be so slow even without CUDA.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 3, 2013 at 9:37:25 pm

The ray-traced renderer is very slow on the CPU. That is not a card that the current version of After Effects will used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Dale Hersh
on Aug 4, 2013 at 3:46:49 am

Hi Todd,

I know this, but to me it seems unbelievable that this happens. This card is not to different than the Quadro chip set(I think) and that it must be a conscious decision to exclude this from CS6.

This is becoming a fairly popular card among those with high end computers and adobe should support this.

Can you tell me if the card is supported in CC AE and PP

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 4, 2013 at 4:23:32 am

See my other responses on this thread.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:13:12 pm

The GTX TITAN and several other cards have been added to the list of cards that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer in the After Effects CC (12.1) update, coming in October.

See this page for details:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:56:45 pm

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which is now available to all Creative Cloud members.

The GTX TITAN and many other GPUs have been added to the CUDA whitelist.

For complete details, see this page.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Tenchi Muyo
on May 17, 2014 at 12:36:51 am

Whats up with a update for the CS6 products?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 19, 2014 at 12:57:09 pm

[Tenchi Muyo] "Whats up with a update for the CS6 products?"

What are you asking? There is an update to CS6 coming soon. The AE team at Adobe has said they are hoping to release it next month. They have not shared everything that's going into the update. The only thing I recall them officially announcing was that it would fix a bug that Mavericks introduced with the motion sketch feature.

If you want to influence what goes into future updates, make sure you file a feature request.

In the meantime, make sure you are running the latest version. If you have CS6, you should be on 11.0.4

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tenchi Muyo
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:13:33 am

and where is the update for AE CS6 !?

No update available...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 27, 2014 at 3:24:30 pm

It has (obviously) been delayed, but Adobe employees have recently confirmed that they are still planning to release an update for CS6.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lindsey Hall
on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:35:07 pm

Any word on if the Titan works in CS6 yet? I want to get one but this is a deciding factor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]