ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Available space warning at start up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin OsmanovskiAvailable space warning at start up
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 11:58:00 pm

I have recently installed a 120gb SSD to my PC as a separate drive for my caches. But despite the disk is almost empty, most of the time i am getting this annoying warning when i launch AE:

Here is the state of the disk at the time i got that warning above:

And here is how my Media & Disk Cache Preferences look:

Why am i getting that warning despite i have enough space on the disk?

I am using AE CS6 btw.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Available space warning at start up
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 3:18:19 am

You need to deduct 10% from your existing storage space to obtain the maximum allowable cache size for your system.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Engin OsmanovskiRe: Available space warning at start up
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:40:28 am

Thanks for the reply Roland.

Considering the disk was all empty at the beginning and had 111 gb available space, doesn't 100 gb suit that calculation? Or am i getting it wrong? My math sucks.:(

By the way, may i ask where that 10% information comes from? Because i didn't see such a thing in adobe help. The only related part i could find was that:

"In After Effects CS5.5, the application checks to make sure that you have 10 GB free above what is set in Preferences > Media & Disk Cache. After Effects warns you if there is not enough room for the disk cache."

(I am using CS6).

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Available space warning at start up
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:00:24 pm

This issue has plagued me as well. I have a 120GB SSD dedicated solely as an After Effects Media cache. I've tried settings ranging for 50GB to 100GB for the cache and despite having an near empty drive, this warning appears. I've learned to ignore it without consequence.

On Adobe's forum, Mylenium advises that it is not significant.

See: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5108678#5108678

Return to posts index

Engin OsmanovskiRe: Available space warning at start up
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 9:01:14 pm

So it won't slow me down or cause unsafe storage issues as mentioned in the warning?

I hope i didn't buy that ssd just for nothing.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:30:42 pm

[Engin Osmanovski] "So it won't slow me down or cause unsafe storage issues as mentioned in the warning?

I hope i didn't buy that ssd just for nothing.
"

Using the SSD as a cache in CS6 is a real benefit. The Global Performance cache is one of CS6's best features.

I doubt you'll have any "unsafe storage issues" at all. Don't worry about it.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Available space warning at start up
by on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:47:03 pm

That warning appears if you have the disk cache size set to greater than 80% of the available space on the drive. To make the warning go away, set the disk cache size to 80% or less of the free space on your drive. It appears that the free space on your drive is 109GB, so set the disk cache size to 87GB or less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:50:11 am

Todd, that's good to know. I was certain I got the same error message with my cache settings well below the 80% threshold, I must be mistaken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]