ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deborah WhiteIllustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09:45 am

Just wondering what would be the best way to bring 3d text created in Illustrator to AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:39:16 am

Um, you mean text that LOOKS like it's 3D, right? Because Illustrator can't do 3D, right?

Well, it's easy.

RGB Only. No CMYK. Fix that right away.

Next, you know all those paths and compound paths you have in your document? If you segregate the appropriate ones into real Illustrator LAYERS -- with a clearly-labeled layer name like "Left Eye", "Torso", "Right Arm", etc. -- you can import the illustrator document as a comp, and the comp will have those layers in it. It's very handy.

All you have to do is think about how you might want to animate the things in the Illustrator document, and put each thing that moves differently from the others into its own layer.

Oh... if by some chance you made something like your own nifty-looking letter A, and you used a little white triangle to make the hole at the top, you're going to have to fix it. a white triangle on a white background looks transparent, but in AE it will look like the letter A with a white triangle in it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Deborah WhiteRe: Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:49:47 am

Thank you.

I was just playing around with the 3D effects in illustrator, but I think they are just an effect and not real 3D that you can move around in AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 1:05:08 am

Well, you CAN move layers from an Illustrator document in 3D space in AE. That's not a problem.

But you might not like the fact that they look like pieces of paper moved around on invisible Popsicle sticks.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 1:32:08 am

The 3D effects in Illustrator do not create 3D objects in After Effects when imported. They are flat 2D representations of 3D, even in Illustrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51:09 pm

Thank you.

I got over excited, when I discovered the 3D function in illustrator. But now know, it's just a mirage!

Return to posts index

Simon FarisRe: Illustrator created 3D to After Effects?
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:32:23 am

I just made a marquee for a building in AI. I saved it as a PNG after creating it first. Then re opened it as a placed file and 3d'd it. Looks pretty good with drop shadow and corner pin. Use highlights when coloring in AI indicative to how a real object will be placed in your comp. You wont have 3d control as mentioned. However you have a pretty believable model. With some effects, you should be able to pull it off. I just did. If that is what you are after? Unless you were referring to a new toy to create spatial 3d and import direct into ae and edit in there further, other then described?

S.Faris
http://www.NetCommercial.Net

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:05:42 am

Hi,

Thanks for for suggestion. Painting in the correct shadows sounds like a very good idea. But I was thinking pure motion graphics.

I watched this video
http://www.themill.com/work/mubi-mubi.aspx

and was wondering how they revolved around the car, maybe traditional animation? Or they built a 3D version in AE or similar software?

Anyways, I know there was probably a lot of people working on it, but I was curious...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]