ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there a way to get AE to stop treating timewarp on a comp as footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff KayIs there a way to get AE to stop treating timewarp on a comp as footage
by on May 31, 2013 at 2:01:39 am

Recently I was working on an AE project that involved timing of various elements to VO. I created the timing with timewarp. The timing was completely fine, but for the places where the speed was slowed down a lot and/or there was a lot of movement, it ended up with a jittery "posterized time" feel to it. The composition itself had no footage, only animated stills and it had the pathing information that should be needed to calculate position at any frame, but instead treated the composition as footage.

I was able to work around this by subcomping the comp that had the timewarp effect. Using a 4x time stretch on it, then adding in (*4) to the expression controlling timewarp. But render time greatly, greatly suffered for this. What I want to know is if there is a way to get AE to stop treating a composition as footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is there a way to get AE to stop treating timewarp on a comp as footage
by on May 31, 2013 at 2:39:54 am

Nope. Nested comps are treated like footage in AE.

Sorry to hear you did your timing with Time Warp. It might take a bit longer, but moving keyframes around yields better results.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is there a way to get AE to stop treating timewarp on a comp as footage
by on May 31, 2013 at 5:47:51 am

[Jeff Kay] " I created the timing with timewarp. The timing was completely fine, but for the places where the speed was slowed down a lot and/or there was a lot of movement, it ended up with a jittery "posterized time" feel to it. The composition itself had no footage, only animated stills and it had the pathing information that should be needed to calculate position at any frame, but instead treated the composition as footage."

Use time remapping [link] instead of applying the Time Warp effect.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Is there a way to get AE to stop treating timewarp on a comp as footage
by on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:51:18 am

[Walter Soyka] "Use time remapping [link] instead of applying the Time Warp effect."

Walter's right. Time remapping works to re-time keyframe animations in nested compositions in After Effects.

Make sure you don't have "Preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue" checked in the Advanced tab of the nested composition's settings. By default it's disabled and that's almost always a good thing :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]