ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using a path from one layer to create a layer mask on another for a write-on effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie CooteUsing a path from one layer to create a layer mask on another for a write-on effect.
by on May 30, 2013 at 10:53:38 pm

Hey!
I'm creating a faux stop animation effect using a write on effect and two video layers. Basically I have a layer on top with a person without tattoos and a layer underneath which is exactly the same camera movement and shot but he now has tattoos. I have created a path over the tattoos on the bottom layer and I want to use that path to cut through to the layer above. So eventually creating a tattoo which draws itself on.
My question is how do I use my path to reveal the top layer. In Photoshop I would just use my selection (from the bottom layer) to create a mask on the top layer. The thing is I don't know how to move a path between layers in after effects!
Thanks in advance for the help
J

P.S. I use the word path to mean the selection I've make with the brush tool along the tattoo, just like you'd do with any write on effect.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Using a path from one layer to create a layer mask on another for a write-on effect.
by on May 31, 2013 at 12:57:57 am

Did you use the paint tool to create the path or did you use a mask?

First duplicate the layer with the path/mask. Now place it on the top of your layer stack, take the tattoo layer and place it second and place the non-tattoo layer at the bottom. If you used the paint tool, change the mode to "Paint on transparent". Finally change the track matte of the middle layer to "alpha". Now as the paint stroke animates, the tattoo will reveal itself.

If you used a mask to create your path, you will do the same, but add a stroke to it and change the mode to transparent.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]