ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

80's/90's VHS Look (Eat Randy Example) in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jackison Falkreath80's/90's VHS Look (Eat Randy Example) in After Effects
by on May 30, 2013 at 11:36:09 am

Hello Everyone!
For ages now I've been attempting to create a convincing, damaged VHS tape look.
There are many tutorials out there, but they are either not very convincing, or use programs that I don't own.
The most perfect example of what I'm trying to achieve would be Julian Smiths Eat Randy video.

Some particular things I would like to point out that I'm trying to achieve,
The little line of static and displaced footage down the bottom.
The general quality and colour burning.
At 0:41 where the tape appears to slow down.
and more specifically, the crazy fuzziness up the top afterwards.

This guy has also managed to replicate a VHS pretty well, but I looked into it and have absolutely NO IDEA how to use the AVISynth thing he's using.

And just for a note, I'm also searching how to create the magnetic displacement lines in this video, and well, anything else advertised in this package here.

Thank you!
All your help is greatly appreciated, for ever and ever!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: 80's/90's VHS Look (Eat Randy Example) in After Effects
by on May 30, 2013 at 3:54:23 pm

There's a script available here:

It will do probably 90 percent of what you want to do. As far as the tape hits, you could probably just use Noise, stretch it a bit horizontally, then apply a Threshold to it. The distortion (wavy effect) could be done with a Ripple filter made very large. A black bar and the Offset filter will give you some of the tape tracking errors, and all of them could be combined, parented, and various other things, which would take waaay longer than spending 49 bucks for the script. Yes, there's a challenge to creating your own effects of this sort, but it's far outweighed by the time you'll spend, especially if you're charging for this project.

In case you didn't run across this tutorial, here's a very good one:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: 80's/90's VHS Look (Eat Randy Example) in After Effects
by on May 30, 2013 at 9:37:45 pm just came out with a new set of 10 transitions that includes a killer "bad tape" transition called "Impact VHS Damage."

Yes, it costs. $89.
No, it's not for AE -- it's a Premiere transition effect -- but it's very customizable, and you could use it to build elements you could then modify in AE.

Good luck!

Greg Leslie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved