ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ways to link up AE6 and SV12? (Proxy noob)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris SummersWays to link up AE6 and SV12? (Proxy noob)
by on May 30, 2013 at 2:40:39 am

Hello guys,
I'm trying to achieve some sort of a workflow with BMCC Cinema DNG files. Because it's my first experience shooting with raw footage, i'm so lost.. *blank stare*

I refuse to use Resolve, as I'm accustomed to Adobe Camera RAW for correcting stills, so using this to grade CDNG files is a huge must. As a result, i've added over 100 clips from a recent "shoot" into Adobe After Effects, done my cinematic grading and need to have some sort of a proxy export for SV12 so I can edit..

The workflow from Resolve is theoretically easier, but the color controls are foreign and it appears there's been some XML trouble with SV12 and Resolve anyway.

I can't seem to find an answer to this specific question, but if it's been asked before, I apologize...

thanks

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Ways to link up AE6 and SV12? (Proxy noob)
by on May 30, 2013 at 8:18:35 am

After Effects -> Drag multiple sequences to the "new comp" icon, select these comps in the bin and drag to render queue, select all and set your output for your proxy/intermediate, go to file -> Scripts -> set render location to set your output location for all items in the render queue and render out.

With some luck you can probably finish the film in After Effects as well. Export an XML file from Vegas and in AE go to file > import > Pro Import After Effects and you should be able to do a lot of back breaking labor with the replace command to change your proxy footage back to your DNG sequences (there may be an AE script to assist in this).

Speedgrade will work with DNG for onling finishing but it won't respect Adobe Camera Raw settings so you'll need some heavy tweaking just for a base look.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Chris SummersRe: Ways to link up AE6 and SV12? (Proxy noob)
by on May 30, 2013 at 2:01:23 pm

Hi, Angelo
thanks for your reply
So let me get this straight...

I imported all my footage, did my camera raw editing, and left them up in the left panel where all my clips are aggregated..

What I need to do now is drag all my clips to a single new composition, then go to the render queue and export the clips as smaller proxy files. I open these up in Vegas, do my editing, then export my final timeline in Vegas as an XML.

I can then reopen my XML file in AE6, and my timeline will be preserved I'm assuming.. then I go about replacing these files with the RAW files.
How exactly do utilize this replace command?
Time constraint isn't an issue, but i'd like to have this going at a steady pace. I don't mind taking the extra time as long as the quality is preserved when I relink the files, and my project gets edited in SV.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 3:06:12 pm

Nope. In the left panel, drag all your clips onto the new comp icon, not into a single comp. The new comp icon is in the lower right corner of your library/bin panel that lists files and comps. Doing it this way creates one comp per file. The new comps will be pre-highlighted, drag the result into the render queue.

Alternately, you can also try dragging your source files directly into the render queue, you'll notice AE will create single comps for them as well.

As far as replacing, you go into your library/bin in AE, right click and select "replace footage". I'd look for a script to help with this function as it can be insanely tedious with large projects.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Fallen Empire - The Blog

Return to posts index

Chris SummersRe: Ways to link up AE6 and SV12? (Proxy noob)
by on May 30, 2013 at 5:19:07 pm

Ok, thanks Angelo I'm going to try this tonight, as well as look for the script.
For creating the clips to go into Vegas, would it be easier to just individually go to each clip, right click and select "Create Proxy"?
Rather than just adding it to the render queue and selecting an output?

I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two methods are.

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:58:25 am

The Create Proxy command is mostly used internal of After Effects, to render out complicated elements as you build your comps - not the best route for what you're trying to achieve.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Fallen Empire - The Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]