ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extending comp in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles WickwareExtending comp in AE
by on May 30, 2013 at 2:17:38 am

Hello all,
I have a rather complex comp I've built and after looking at the render, I'd like to slow it all down about half speed. Now I know I can just time-lapse it in Premier but at 30 fps it's not as smooth as I'd like. Is there a way to expand your comp and have all the keyframes etc expand proportionally? Or am I limited to using the time function in Premier?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Extending comp in AE
by on May 30, 2013 at 2:34:46 am

Select all your keyframes, hold down the ALT key, and then drag the last keyframe. While extending the comp won't automatically extend the keyframes, the above process will do that. What I would do is change the length of the comp, then use the above process.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Extending comp in AE
by on May 30, 2013 at 1:55:36 pm

Joe describes the best way to change the speed of animations.

Once you've decided on a speed for animations in AE, it isn't always a chip shot to change it,.... i.e. it isn't automatic. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam FreemanRe: Extending comp in AE
by on May 30, 2013 at 2:17:27 pm

One other way would be to precomp your master composition and then do a time-remap on that composition to the desired length. This should adjust everything across the board without having to worry about layers cutting off once the keyframes have moved.

However - it will do a speedramp on any footage in that comp. If you have footage in that comp you either use the methods outlined in the other posts, or work out the maths involved with making your time-remapped composition 50% slower speed and your footage 50% faster to compensate (think that's the right way round...) This gets confusing though!

I always thought it would be a cool function in After Effects to be able to select a segment of a composition and stretch/squash it preserving relationships between all keyframes and in/out points. Could be a really useful tool...?

Cheers
Sam

Return to posts index

Jeff KayRe: Extending comp in AE
by on May 31, 2013 at 1:55:11 am

If you want to speed up or slow down an entire comp, it can actually be done fairly quickly and easily. Take your main comp (we'll call it maincomp) and make a new comp with just that (we'll call that one 1/2comp). In 1/2comp use the time stretch feature on the maincomp layer (I typically access this by clicking on the duration of the layer in the timeline window) and you can change it by setting a new duration in seconds/frames or by % of original duration. That's all it takes.

I believe that this is what Sam was referring to. If you do have footage as a part of the maincomp then it will be affected in the same way that footage is normally affected with any time altering effect. If you want to keep the footage moving at its normal speed you can go into the maincomp and perform the same time stretch, just the multiplicative inverse (slow down the maincomp to 50%, speed up the footage to 200%). This will of course change where the in the footage different effects start or stop, but its a workaround. It will look better than having the footage just slowed down, but be prepared for the footage to show some signs of a time altering effect.

Return to posts index

Sam FreemanRe: Extending comp in AE
by on May 31, 2013 at 9:18:48 am

Yep. That would be a better way to write that...

:0)

Return to posts index

Thomas GinelliRe: Extending comp in AE
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:56:54 am

I can't believe that nobody wrote a script to make that easier. I would surely pay for that!

Several times I imported comps from colleagues that were right in timing - but in wrong FPS. And when I put them into my comp they were too slow or too fast! All I needed was an option to change fps while leaving the keyframes and layers where they were, like keyframe on frame 100 stays on 100 after fps change... no luck there.

ALT-scaling keyframes is pretty out of the question when you have 50+ animated layers. AE Re-timing (or even Twixtor) slows things down and can cause problems.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Extending comp in AE
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:14:12 pm

[Thomas Ginelli] "Several times I imported comps from colleagues that were right in timing - but in wrong FPS."

Oh. Just change the frame rates of those comps. As long as there's no footage in them with a frame rate such as video, you've made the change. You can also change the time display to the corrected frame rate as well.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas GinelliRe: Extending comp in AE
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:16:09 pm

Well that is not the case... to explain better:

I'd need a script which literally speeds up or slows down a keyframed animation. Like at, say, 30fps, a keyframe at 300 is at the 10 second mark, and after standard AE conversion to 25 fps it gets to on frame 250, right? Still at 10 seconds.

What I wished instead, is that the keyframe stayed at frame 300 after conversion, so effectively it was at the 12 second mark... slowed down.

In some 3d apps like 3ds time there is a global time scale tool. Not in AE I think? I understand it's different when working with video footages, but just for keyframes that would be helpful.

The need for such conversion came from a newb animator, who did not realize he was working in 30fps instead of 25, and relied on frame numbers rather than time to get his parts matched with other sequences. Kinda complicated. Ended up rendering his comps to frames and importing them in different fps, to avoid slowing down final comp render.

What do you mean by: "You can also change the time display to the corrected frame rate as well." - maybe it's something I overlooked?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]