ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dup. layer in template can't switch pictures

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald CzarneckiDup. layer in template can't switch pictures
by on May 28, 2013 at 7:15:29 pm

I used a template that shares a precomp folder between two levels. I duplicated scene 2 but I want to set up a new picture and text for a duplicated level (Scene 2 dup), however they share the same precomp so it's not possible to set a new picture and text. Any ideas? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Dup. layer in template can't switch pictures
by on May 28, 2013 at 8:23:24 pm

You are duplicating the precomp in your main comp Timeline creating a second instance of the same precomp. To be able to use the same settings/animation but with a different image in the precomp, duplicate the same precomp in the Project window, rename it, select it and select the duplicated precomp layer in the Timeline, Alt click on the renamed precomp and drag and drop over the layer. This will replace the instance with the new (renamed) precomp. Now you can open it and change the image inside.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ronald CzarneckiRe: Dup. layer in template can't switch pictures
by on May 28, 2013 at 11:00:55 pm

Thanks but I think I already did that. I duplicated in the project window and renamed it. I then dragged the comp inside the folder of the project window to the timeline. However it was the same instance.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 12:38:19 am

I found this post here that shows what you were explaining to me.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/951325

I am getting closer but seem I have one precomp that is share the picture it's called; Placeholder_Edit_01 & Placeholder EDIT_02.

I copied the folder in project and renamed to dup, then I Ctrl "D" the comp in the timeline. Then I dragged the comp using the Alt to the timeline. I also dragged the comps Placeholder_Color//Text_EDIT_01& 02 and replaced them however I can not find the comp that the picture is in and use the Alt and replace, all the pictures seem to be using the same Placeholder Comp which can not be replaced.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 2:02:18 am

The "Placeholder_EDIT_01_dup" under project "Scene_02_dup" has the new picture I wish to replace but the flowchart says it's using "Placeholder_EDIT_01" in "Scene_01".

Keeps going back to this folder which I can not replace, tough template.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it but it seems I'm stuck on this one.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 6:35:49 am

If you have a precomp that holds the image layer inside the duplicated precomp, then you have to duplicate that as well in the Project window and replace it in the duplicated and replaced initial precomp. Sometimes depending on how the templates are build you have several precomps within precomps. You need to duplicate and replace all precomped elements in order for you to have a separate comp that can have all the base elements (images and video) replaced.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 11:43:52 am

I understand but frustrating this does not have a precomp named "Placeholder_EDIT_01" in the time line. I checked for hidden files but I think I am seeing all of them.

You can see in this picture the precomp is not there. The duplicate is the same as what were are seeing here.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 12:11:26 pm

You did uncheck the shy layer icon in the bottom timeline window?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 2:22:54 pm

Yes I did at the top and in the timeline to open all the layers. As in the picture the comp is not found in the timeline also it's repeated in the project window. So how do the pictures change in the different scenes?

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Dup. layer in template can't switch pictures
by on May 29, 2013 at 3:14:37 pm

Its easy to duplicate one Comp in a nested series and neglect to duplicate another which quickly leads byzantine comp confusion.

Tudor is correct, you've really got to follow the connections in the original template project.

This has saved my bacon many times:

http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 4:38:32 pm

Yes, I was looking at that, Why would the same comp be used for multiple pictures? They at least should not have the same name. Seems the script program is the only way to find them.

Return to posts index

Dileep NadesanRe: Dup. layer in template can't switch pictures
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:59:04 am

Thanks tudor , its really helped.
:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]