ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects won't open - hangs on startup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thea Pilarczyk
After Effects won't open - hangs on startup
on May 28, 2013 at 3:30:46 pm

I'm having an issue with After Effects CS6 on my Mac, OSX 10.6.8. When I try to launch the program, it hangs on the logo screen, without the icon bouncing in the dock, and it just sits there. No errors...the program just won't finish opening, even if I wait for an hour. If I try to switch to it, I get the spinning beach ball. Right-clicking the icon says that the program is not responding.

I haven't installed any new plugins, scripts, or anything of the sort. In fact, I haven't even used it in awhile. Is there anything I can do/delete/remove in order to get it working again? I'm not even sure where the preferences are, so I can try that.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: After Effects won't open - hangs on startup
on May 28, 2013 at 4:24:23 pm

You can try deleting the application preferences.

To do this you hold down the Command+Option+Shift keys when you launch the application. You should see a dialog asking whether you want to reset the preferences to their defaults.

Return to posts index

Thea Pilarczyk
on May 28, 2013 at 5:04:33 pm

I did that, but still had the same issue. The start up screen is freezing on "Initializing MediaCore".

With a little more searching, I found this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/startup-screen-hangs-premiere-afte..., but I don't have any firewall software installed, and removing the QuickTime exporters didn't help.

I did download and install the upgrade to CS6 11.0.2, and now After Effects is opening again. But it's done this before...hang on start up for a full day, and then randomly start working again. So I'm not sure whether the upgrade actually helped, or if it was just a coincidence.

One odd thing I noticed was that when I tried to install the upgrade, I got an error that I had to close the application Adobe QT32 Server, but I had already force-quit AE and didn't see this in my task manager. I had to restart in order to close it so I could install the upgrade. So it seems to be an issue with running the Adobe QT32 Server application, however that works.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 28, 2013 at 5:11:27 pm

I'm happy you found a solution. This may be a permissions problem, next time this occurs try using Disk Utility to repair the permissions on your drive.

Return to posts index

Peter Sagnia
on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:43:34 am

My friend...i usually don't reply to answers...but you just saved my life buddy.

thanks

Return to posts index

Sammarth Chauhan
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:12:18 pm

My Adobe After Effects Hangs On Startup My Screen Freeze On This Step I Installed Its New In Pc Am A Windows 10 User

Return to posts index

Stojan Stojanovic
on Oct 14, 2013 at 9:30:30 am

For Mac OS 10.8 and later
1. Move/Delete Perian preference panes
2. Delete everything from MachintoshHD/Library/adobe/Common/Plug-ins/ except CS6 folder

Start AE !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]