ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

50fps Input + Timewarp to 25fps output - Best Practice (high speed footage to slow mo)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Stevenson
50fps Input + Timewarp to 25fps output - Best Practice (high speed footage to slow mo)?
on May 24, 2013 at 4:13:04 pm

Hello,

I have some 50fps footage that is destined for 25fps media, but I also want to slow the footage down with Timewarp (think super slow mo).

Now obviously I already have twice as many frames as I need so I can gain a little bit of "perfect" slow down already. But I want to go further. So my question is, what is my best setup to get the most out of the footage?

Examples:

50fps comp - Add footage to 50fps comp and apply Timewarp - Add comp to 25fps comp and carry on.

25fps comp - Add footage to a 25fps comp and apply Timewarp.

Interpret footage as 25fps and then add to a 25fps comp and add Timewarp.

Pre-comp footage (at 50fps) and add comp to 25fps comp and add Timewarp.

Or something else?

So what's the best setup to get the most out of the footage and require Timewarp to fake as little as possible?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 50fps Input + Timewarp to 25fps output - Best Practice (high speed footage to slow mo)?
on May 24, 2013 at 6:28:46 pm

SUPER Slo-mo? About the speed of the classic "Drop of water in a container forms something that looks like a crown" film clip? That slow?

If image quality isn't huge concern you can mess with AE's Time effects, but it will only get you so far before it starts looking ugly.

Frame Rate Conversion software like Twixtor will get you further than AE's tools, but it won't work miracles with image quality if you push it too far.

If you want flawless super slo-mo, shoot with a camera that's capable of shooting super slo-mo. That's why they make 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 50fps Input + Timewarp to 25fps output - Best Practice (high speed footage to slow mo)?
on May 24, 2013 at 6:39:05 pm

I think the recipes that use double frame rates are meant to deal better with interlacing. If your footage is 50p, I'd just re-interpret at 25fps and Timewarp.

Dave mentioned Twixtor. I've found the best results come from Twixtor Pro and manual labor to reduce blobbiness -- you can rotoscope three foreground layers away from the background to guide Twixtor's motion estimation (to get cleaner motion vectors at the edges of objects where you have motion differences), and you can provide manual point and spline guidance.

I think Timewarp has a matte input as well for basic foreground/background separation.

Spending some (a lot of) extra time here can really help.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Stevenson
on May 24, 2013 at 9:58:42 pm

Dave, sorry, when I said "super" I meant slower than what I would get by reinterpreting the footage down to 25fps.

Walter, yes the footage is 50p, sorry I should have stated that.

I have tons of 50p footage floating around and I was thinking of playing around with dropping in some slow mo here and there, just playing about really. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right method (with the available tools and footage) and not wasting my time.

Thanks chaps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]