ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CroweDVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 3:16:00 am

Hi folks,

a mate of mine has given me some footage on a formatted DVD (ie VOB files). Dunno what it was shot on but it is 4:3 and SD obviously (25fps). He doesn't have access to the original footage. The DVD is it. Anyway, he wants me to do some pixellation as a bit of a gag for his brother, which I'll do in AECS4.

Gonna use Streamclip or the like to covert the VOBs and probably compressor at the tail end to create the files for DVD creation.

But, what do you guys recommend as a file type/codec to bring into AE (ex streamclp) to do the pixellation work and also what do you reckon I output to (from AE), given he wants it back as a formatted DVD. As I say I'll do the filed for DVD in compressor.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 3:23:36 am

Oh, sorry yeah - I'm workin on a mac OSX 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 3:27:39 am

The VOB files are essentially MPEG files. All you need to do is to change the file extension from .VOB to .MPG. You can then use the MPG file directly in PPro instead of AE. In fact, I believe that PPro is able to import VOB files directly.

From PPro, you should be able to export/render out an MPEG2 with DVD specs using Adobe Media Encoder's DVD preset.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 5:15:55 am

PP is able to work with VOB files!

- Copy the DVD to your HDD
- Import in to PP
- Take a VOB an drag´n´drop on the little "new sequenz"-ikon
(PP wil make a timeline that hase the correkt settings!!)
- Edit...

Hope this hepls!
;)

Return to posts index

Kris MerkelRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 2:16:34 pm

Ouch! Just because PrPro can use them does not mean you should. Especially since you are going to add FX. It's always faster and will turn out better to transcode long GOP codec into a more edit friendly codec.

Yes use stream-clip and transcode into prores or other Iframe codec, add your FX, and then compress in media encoder or compressor to get mack to mpeg 2.

Do not listen to anyone that says you should use an encoded VOB file to edit with if you have any other available option. Remember that well compressed data to not compres well.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 6:23:39 pm

[Kris Merkel] "Do not listen to anyone that says you should use an encoded VOB file to edit with if you have any other available option. Remember that well compressed data to not compres well."

Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference. Ae and Pr decode any incoming streams, process it uncompressed, and then encode the outgoing stream.

The loss of data occurred when the VOB was originally compressed. Transcoding to an intraframe codec now will not improve the end result -- unless that transcode uses a higher-quality decoder than Ae/Pr.

There may be a performance benefit to transcoding to intraframe while you work (doing the work upfront once before you work, instead of potentially repeatedly while you work), but there should be no quality difference.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 6:40:27 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference. Ae and Pr decode any incoming streams, process it uncompressed, and then encode the outgoing stream."

Very true! But as the project progresses, you might think to yourself, "I ought to Warp Stabilize this shot" or "I think I'll prerender this nested comp." Things could get ugly in a hurry in such cases.

So yes, technically speaking you don't have to go to an intermediate codec. But if your plans for the footage are etched in Jell-O, I'd think it would be better to be safe than sorry and start by transcoding to a lossless intermediate codec.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: DVD(VOB) to AE back to DVD ewww!
by on May 24, 2013 at 7:11:06 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "So yes, technically speaking you don't have to go to an intermediate codec. But if your plans for the footage are etched in Jell-O, I'd think it would be better to be safe than sorry and start by transcoding to a lossless intermediate codec."

Etched in Jell-O... fantastic! Mind if I borrow that one?

I agree there's a performance benefit to transcoding -- just pointing out that it should not affect quality.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2013 at 10:21:44 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Etched in Jell-O... fantastic! Mind if I borrow that one?"

Oh, sure, use it to your heart's content! It's very descriptive. It also brings to mind the phrase, "as decisive as a bed of kelp".

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2013 at 3:13:19 pm

Furthermore, I wouldn't count on AE's ability to sense the presence of audio: it needs a separate audio track, and I'm pretty sure that the audio in a VOB file is embedded in the video. No audio track detected, no audio in AE.

So export a separate audio track, too.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]