ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Project is in 29.97 needs to be delivered at 23.976 fps. What is the process:?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angus Washington
Project is in 29.97 needs to be delivered at 23.976 fps. What is the process:?
on May 24, 2013 at 1:49:25 am

I have a project which needs to meet some guidelines, currently the master is at 29.97 fps but it must be delivered at 23.976, what is the best process for conforming to this frame rate. Compressor? or?

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: Project is in 29.97 needs to be delivered at 23.976 fps. What is the process:?
on May 24, 2013 at 3:07:12 am

Is it native After FX keyframe information?

Or is it footage?

If so... Is the footage progressive? Or does it have 3:2 pulldown in it?

These questions need to be answered before I can give you any advice.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Angus Washington
Re: Project is in 29.97 needs to be delivered at 23.976 fps. What is the process:?
on May 24, 2013 at 11:52:09 am

the footage is 1080i at 29.97 i believe. and it needs to be delivered at 1080p 23.976

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2013 at 3:20:32 pm

You will need frame rate conversion software like reVision's Twixtor.

Conforming the current frame rate to 23.976 will slow the frame rate down, and make it longer-duration. You might try AE's Time Warp and Time Remapping features. Other people may also suggest frame rate conversion recipes. But here's the thing: if they worked flawlessly and reliably, people would have been shouting them from the rooftops... and they haven't. If Adobe people had a good way to do it, you can bet they would have made a big deal out of it too, because frame rate conversion is a royal pain you-know-where.

The only tried and true way to get to that frame rate is with specialized frame rate conversion software.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on May 24, 2013 at 5:56:14 pm

If the footage is 29.97 1080i then...

You need to go to the "intemperate footage" dialog for the imported clips. In the fields section choose "Upper field first". Then click the "Guess 3:2 pulldown" button. If the effective framerate is 23.976... then you have just made 1080i into 23.976 progressive. If it does nothing it is not 1080i footage.

This only speaks to the footage. If you have done graphics or tracking or whatever on top of the footage... this will all have to be redone in a 23.976 comp.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 28, 2013 at 1:41:37 am

assuming the footage is actually 29.97i (not shot 24p with a pulldown), the quick-and-dirty method i usually use is to use the interpret footage settings to separate, click the preserve edges option, drop the footage into a 23.976 comp and enable frame blending for the footage (frame mix not pixel motion).

it produces smoother motion than just separating fields and dropping into a 24p comp, which essentially drops every 5th frame, and it more closely replicates the motion blur that you would see if the original had been shot in 24p.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]