ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

One node VS two node camera: Best uses

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim BoknechtOne node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 23, 2013 at 9:25:38 pm

Up till now I've always used two node cameras in AE. So let me poll you guys:

When do you use a one node camera over two? What are the best uses for each?

Tim Boknecht
Media Producer
Bravo Productions

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 23, 2013 at 10:14:29 pm

Two-nodes when I need/want to be more expressive with the camera. Then again, it's a case of different strokes for different folks - so keep this in mind.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 24, 2013 at 4:27:08 pm

If I'm thinking correctly, one node uses rotation/orientation only and no POI, right? In that case, you could use a one node camera like most people use camera parented to null for planar motion only.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 24, 2013 at 6:21:00 pm

Two nodes allows you build a rig that mimics the pan/tilt head on a tripod. You can even label the nulls as "Pan" and "Tilt". Very straightforward.

Everyone I know pretty much blows off that Point Of Interest nonsense. Too cumbersome.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim BoknechtRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 24, 2013 at 6:29:02 pm

I've been setting keyframes for position and point of interest (keyboard shortcut A), then using the camera tools (C) to automatically create keyframes down the timeline.

Dave, could you upload a down-and-dirty example of this 2 null rig set up in a CS5 or earlier project?

Tim Boknecht
Media Producer
Bravo Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 24, 2013 at 6:56:44 pm

[Tim Boknecht] "Dave, could you upload a down-and-dirty example of this 2 null rig set up in a CS5 or earlier project?"

I don't have to: the Immensely Generous, Informative and Helpful Andrew Devis has an entire series of tutorials on camera control rigs in AE. Since cameras and their controls haven't changed much over the years, they work for any version that has a camera in it!

You can find them among his many, many tutorials here on the COW... not to mention a wealth of other accumulated AE wisdom.

The Good Mr. Devis doesn't get anywhere near the accolades he deserves for advancing AE knowledge.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: One node VS two node camera: Best uses
by on May 24, 2013 at 8:48:34 pm

Interesting. I always use a one node camera when I want to imitate a tripod. Then the rotation controls work pretty much the same (although the gimbal may be different from a tripod) I also use a one node camera when I am doing planar moves where I don't want the camera to rotate.

I always use a two node camera for complex moves where I want the camera's position and orientation to animate independently. Especially when using 3d objects or element 3d. For example, if you want to move the camera around while always looking at one object in the scene, copy the position of the object to the point of interest of the camera. It gives a nice jib/crane like look. (Though much more powerful) You can animate the camera orientation from aiming at one object to another by copying their position to the point of interest. Often I will end up tweaking the exact poi, but copying positions is a good start. In order to make it smooth though, you usually have to go into 4 views and smooth out the bezier curves of the motion paths for both the camera, and the anchor point. If you want to track a moving object, pickwhip link the camera's poi to the position of the object with an expression.

Hope that helps get started.

Point of interest can be really powerful if you learn how to use it well.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]