ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Alt drag replace NOT working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik ThurmanAlt drag replace NOT working
by on May 21, 2013 at 9:44:34 pm

I have a pretty hefty animation using .psd layers. I need to replace those layers with the new updated .psd layers that have new colors. Normally I would just alt drag the new layers to replace the old ones. Only thing is, its not working. The replacement happens (the new name updates) but the new colors and whatnot don't update. When double clicking the layer to open it by itself you can see the new updated version, but when viewing it inside the timeline no changes have happened. Is there something simple that I'm missing here?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Alt drag replace NOT working
by on May 21, 2013 at 11:17:26 pm

Have you tried Reload? I think you right click the PSD file in the Project area.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Erik ThurmanRe: Alt drag replace NOT working
by on May 21, 2013 at 11:32:54 pm

I've tried reloading and replacing, still no go. Not sure what the issue is

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Alt drag replace NOT working
by on May 21, 2013 at 11:34:59 pm

[Erik Thurman] "The replacement happens (the new name updates) but the new colors and whatnot don't update"

Are there effects applied to the layers that change the color?

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2013 at 11:40:53 pm

When replacing the old files with the new ones didn't work I tried changing the color on the old files. I tried ramp, tint, and fill but none changed the color. I've never had this much not work in AE.

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2013 at 11:45:34 pm

Just so I'm clear, are these layers being replaced with the same sort of footage? Are they pre-comps, are any Proxies in use?

Have you tried clearing the caches and resetting the preferences?

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 12:44:06 am

Yes they're pre comped.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Alt drag replace NOT working
by on May 22, 2013 at 12:52:11 am

[Ridley Walker] "Have you tried clearing the caches"

Erik, just wanted to make sure you saw this since you didn't refer to it in your last post. You can clear the disk cache in Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > Empty Disk Cache, and you can clear RAM cache with Edit > Purge > All Memory.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 1:10:17 am

Is that usually something that solves this kind of issue?

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 1:16:47 am

[Erik Thurman] "Is that usually something that solves this kind of issue?"

Yes. When I see something not changing, and I expect it to be changing, the first thing I suspect is the persistent disk cache (new in CS6).

Be sure to run all the updates, too, as there were quite a few cache-related bug squashed in the point updates to CS6.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 1:19:11 am

I was unaware of that. I'll give that a shot when I'm back in the office tomorrow. Thanks a bunch.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 1:18:29 pm

Emptying the disk cache and purging the memory yielded no new results.
If I double click on a layer, opening it in the viewer I can see the changes but when viewing the composition in the timeline the changes aren't there. So weird and frustrating.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 3:28:41 pm

[Erik Thurman] "Emptying the disk cache and purging the memory yielded no new results. If I double click on a layer, opening it in the viewer I can see the changes but when viewing the composition in the timeline the changes aren't there. So weird and frustrating."

Another thing that Ridley mentioned that I'll call attention to again: you're not using any proxies, are you? Or pre-renders?

Or perhaps you have multiple independent copies of your precomps? Can you confirm that an item doesn't show where it should be viewing the correct layer and then using the mini-flowchart to step backwards into containing comps?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 4:55:17 pm

No, I'm not using any proxies or pre-renders. The way the project is set up is: there is the main comp which has 7 pre comps which houses all the animation. There is no key frames on the pre comps just on all the nested layers inside each precomp. Like I said earlier, when double clicking on a given layer, opening it in the layer view, the changes made by alt dragging the new layer onto it, shows up. But when viewing it with all the other layers in the timeline no changes are there just the original layers. The same thing happens when applying different color correction effects. I did a simple test with some arbitrary layers, making a simple animation and alt dragging a layer on it. That updated like it should, but for some reason it's not working on the actual animation I'm working on.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 4:58:25 pm

My only thought at this point is that it may have something to do with the layers being .psd files. I'm not sure if that is correct or not though.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 8:27:38 pm

What happens when you right-click on one of these nested comp layers and select "Reveal Layer Source in Project", does it reveal the correct composition?

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 9:15:42 pm

Yes, the correct comp is revealed.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2013 at 10:27:47 pm

Wow. I'm stumped. I had thought you might have duplicated the comps and there might be comp name confusion.

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2013 at 1:54:08 pm

Do you have any shy layers in the comp that might be above the layer you're trying to change? What happens if you solo the layer you're alt-drag replacing -- can you see the update then?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2013 at 6:39:41 pm

soloing the layer doesnt show the changes, but opening the layer by double clicking it does.

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2013 at 7:05:12 pm

[Erik Thurman] "soloing the layer doesnt show the changes, but opening the layer by double clicking it does.
"

What sort of footage is the layer in question? Comp, psd, solid ...

Any expressions associated with these problematic layers?

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2013 at 7:08:34 pm

Have the anchor point, position or scale of the layers been changed? If so, what happens when you reset these to their default values?

Return to posts index

Keith SteadmanRe: Alt drag replace NOT working
by on Jul 10, 2015 at 4:18:50 pm

I have had the same issue but I solved it on my comp..I only been using it for a few weeks so It may have been just luck.

I got 8 comps all titled sheets 1 to 8

I used Alt + Drag to drag a pic on to the solid layer in sheet 3 which worked..but it wouldn't work in the other sheets..it just kept wanting to place it above the solid.

so I just clicked on the solid then held Alt and left clicked on my picture and then it let me replace my solid

hope that helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]