ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drawn mask snapping to predefined areas

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Drawn mask snapping to predefined areas
on May 19, 2013 at 2:21:50 pm

I will more than readily admit I am not an expert After Effects user so please bare with me. I am drawing a mask around an image on a layer and for some reason, as in the attached photo, it is snapping to some predefined mask. I want it to cover the edges of the notes as well.....how do I do that?

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Re: Drawn mask snapping to predefined areas
on May 19, 2013 at 3:22:57 pm

Would always help if the image I was talking about was attached.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 20, 2013 at 2:52:15 am

How, exactly, are you drawing the mask? What I see in your screenshot looks like the segmentation boundary from the Roto Brush tool, which has nothing to do with masks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on May 20, 2013 at 2:56:56 am

According to After Effects what is being shown is the alpha boundary. I tried to redraw it with a tool but it always sticks to what is shown. I beleive the images that imported (that graphic is one image) had an alpha channel with it and After Effects is using that. Is there a way to get it to ignore the alpha on the file?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 20, 2013 at 3:19:01 am

Again, how exactly are you drawing the mask?

Are you using the Pen tool?

As I said, it appears that you are using the Roto Brush tool, and that has nothing to do with masks.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on May 20, 2013 at 3:21:22 am

I have tried the pen and rectangle tool. If I draw a mask I get the attached:

Perhaps I am asking the wrong question. Perhaps whoever did this for me did use the rotobrush tool. Either way anything outside of the purple line becomes part of the alpha channel and therefore is faded out when over video - I do not want this.

Return to posts index

William Scholik
on May 20, 2013 at 1:13:12 pm

Here is a good place to start with masks. This is much better than any help that I could give you through a forum.

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE_Creating-Masks/1

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on May 20, 2013 at 2:45:35 pm

So I've done some additional research and it does appear that we are talking about the rotobrush. Once again when these files are imported into After Effects they have this alpha channel which I'm presuming the rotobrush is taking so I'm wondering if we can tell After Effects to ignore it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]