ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I use a layer as a path for an effect, without restricting the effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thor Britt
How do I use a layer as a path for an effect, without restricting the effect?
on May 16, 2013 at 10:15:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I realize the title may be a bit confusing. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have a star that sort of looks like a cattle-brand. I want to burn the star onto some footage and have fire shooting out of the star's stroke (the red part). The fire animation looks great - using fractal noise and displacement maps. How do I go about getting the flames to extend past the shape of the star so that the flames are coming through the shape rather than looking like it's burning behind the shape?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do I use a layer as a path for an effect, without restricting the effect?
on May 17, 2013 at 11:42:31 am

One method would be to duplicate you shape and add a simple choker to it and set choke matte to a negative(like -20). Than add CC Composite to the effect and Composite the Original to Silhouette Alpha. Now you have an area outside of your brand you can use as a track matte to bleed the fire.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Thor Britt
Re: How do I use a layer as a path for an effect, without restricting the effect?
on May 17, 2013 at 3:41:28 pm

This helped out a ton! Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]