ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob FisherHow would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?
by on May 15, 2013 at 4:02:37 pm

I have 100 layers that I want to control the scale of using one Null. But I want each child to scale up using it's own axis as opposed to the Null's axis. How would I do this?

Part 2, how would I do the above, plus have the scale of each child staggered over time?

Thanks so much, I've looked around and I can't find the answer, but this must be possible. I am trying to avoid manually key framing each layer, since there are a lot of them, and the timings will change.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: How would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?
by on May 15, 2013 at 5:23:20 pm

If all you're doing with the Null is scaling, don't parent the layers, use an expression linking the scale of the null to the scale of the other layer's.

Even if you've built the rig, you can write the expression once for one layer, then copy and paste it to all the other layers in one step.

Return to posts index

Rob FisherRe: How would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?
by on May 15, 2013 at 5:52:20 pm

Good point. I can't simply link the scale property of the children to the scale property of the null because each of the 100 children has a different scale value.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: How would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?
by on May 15, 2013 at 6:15:33 pm

Then use this script:

value + thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.scale

It will add the layer's current scale value to the value of the null's scale.

Return to posts index

Rob FisherRe: How would you: control the scale of a child, using a null's scale property, while preserving the anchor of the child?
by on May 15, 2013 at 6:17:55 pm

that's so simple, thanks! any clue on how to vary each layer over time as I've asked for in my part 2? so that I can have 1-100 cascading based on the key frames of the null but over time?

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2013 at 6:39:22 pm

Depending on how you have the layers set up, the each layer's scale could be linked to the layer above it and use an expression slider connected to a valueAtTIme function.

Perhaps this would work for you:

6010_valueattimecs5.5.aep.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]