ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The truly terrifying thing about Adobe's Cloud Changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Wall
The truly terrifying thing about Adobe's Cloud Changes
on May 11, 2013 at 8:33:32 pm

Think about what is going on here people! It's not just access to Adobe's tools! If you don't rise up and fight this you are their slave forever!!!

A parallel world where you had the choice to buy or rent was one thing. This is RADICALLY DIFFERENT.

Imagine a scenario where you built yourself a house...but if five years later you stopped renting THE TOOLS YOU USED...that you couldn't inhabit your house anymore. That's the same scenario here. MY WORK. MY EFFORTS. MY PERSPIRATION. MY IDEAS...But because I use Adobe's tools...I'm forever their slave to be able to access MY STUFF. MINE!

I wouldn't have the problem if they gave you the choice to rent or buy. Even if they made buying the software a bit more expensive than it is currently. But this!?!?

It's immoral and it must be STOPPED.

I have no problem with the affordability of paying $50 per month. But what if my financial picture were to change a year from now? Or in five years? If I cease to pay their toll I won't even be able to VIEW work that I've done for clients and for myself. I won't even be able to make the tiniest edit. I would be their hostage. My world would be ruled by this: "File cannot be opened."

My files...built with MY LABOR... would be in Adobe's vault...under THEIR LOCK AND KEY.

The pathway to slavery starts here! Still interested in continuing with Adobe!??

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The truly terrifying thing about Adobe's Cloud Changes
on May 11, 2013 at 9:09:32 pm

You may not be aware that the COW has opened a "Creative Cloud: The Debate" forum. I'll guess it's there to keep this forum clear for it's primary purpose. user-to-user help.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind a cross-post at all.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 11, 2013 at 9:10:40 pm

Ah, OK Dave...I'll post this over in that thread. Thanx!

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 11, 2013 at 9:20:37 pm

The moral dimension to this is interesting. What obligations (if any) exist between a software developer/marketer and its customers?

The discussion however has moved here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/creativeclouddebate

There's more heat than light and the same small group of people are responsible for making the most noise. The debate has all the markings of an echo chamber. The same objections repeated over and over. Some real vitriol and few definitive answers.

I'm no fan of the CC subscription model, and according to Adobe I'm in the minority. I'm going to wait this out and see what the options are in a few months. There's no pressing need to move to CC.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 11, 2013 at 9:41:00 pm

Personally, Ridley, I foresee work-alike applications just as good as Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. appearing on the market from heretofore-unknown developers in a remarkably short period of time.

Why, these new applications will probably be able to open existing Adobe project files! Why, they might even work seamlessly together... and wouldn't THAT be refreshing?

I also foresee a remarkably short time for existing developers to make it exceptionally easy to transition from Adobe apps to theirs.

The folks at the home office in San Jose really screwed up on this one. Big time.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 11, 2013 at 10:01:53 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I also foresee a remarkably short time for existing developers to make it exceptionally easy to transition from Adobe apps to theirs.
"

I hope you're right Dave. Have you seen the HitFilm2 Ultimate application? http://hitfilm.com

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 11, 2013 at 10:10:37 pm

I owned the 5.5 Master Suite. Then when they came out w/6...it was only $29 and they promised additional apps that you couldn't get with the cloud. I wasn't happy at the time, but could understand it--as long as it was my choice.

But the idea of being at gun point to pay Adobe $50 every month for the rest of my life...for the priviledge of opening and editing my own files....that's where I have big problems.

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 11, 2013 at 10:30:02 pm

I strongly contend that most people aren't deeply thinking through all the ramifications of this!

For example let me posit the following absolute reality and nudge you to think about it.
1. You are likely to retire some day.
2. At that time you might strongly consider dropping the $50 (or more) per month for Adobe's cloud.
3. If you decide the cloud is no longer in the budget...you can kiss goodbye 10, 20, 30 years of your life's work. You will be locked out. All you will get is: "File cannot be opened." If that doesn't make you red-hot mad...I don't know what might. You will be locked out from even opening your own work!

I would never have dreamt of saying this: But I now have no choice but to consider dumping c4d/AE and moving to Modo/Nuke. Obviously I wouldn't make a switch like that if there weren't assurances those companies aren't likely to pursue the same ill-conceived measure.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2013 at 8:15:07 pm

[Craig Wall] "...If you decide the cloud is no longer in the budget...you can kiss goodbye 10, 20, 30 years of your life's work. You will be locked out. All you will get is: "File cannot be opened." If that doesn't make you red-hot mad...I don't know what might. You will be locked out from even opening your own work!"

A similar argument can be made if you have a downturn in business. You could be a trusted but much-tattooed practitioner who uses Adobe products.
Suddenly, popular opinion and style takes a 90-degree turn -- looking like the Illustrated Man becomes a very bad thing. Your business volume drops like a rock. You now must decide which monthly bills get paid. Don't pay the light bill? You can't run your Adobe applications. Don't pay the Adobe bill? You have no need for the lights. Your non-adorned buddies who subscribe may be able to help for a while, but that won't last. Your work is held hostage.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on May 14, 2013 at 3:53:51 am

Dead on right! Everyone thinks they're going to to live forever.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2013 at 2:39:15 pm

[Ridley Walker] "I hope you're right Dave. Have you seen the HitFilm2 Ultimate application?"

I hadn't even heard of it, but it appears to be a step in the right direction. There are a lot of key tools missing that would make it a viable competitor, but I'm sure the developer is already -- or will soon begin -- working on filling the many gaps. Such as:

No audio editing & efx application.
No obvious mention of importing still images of any kind.
No capability for still-image creation.
No stabilization / tracking.
No text that was obviously apparent.
No immediately-apparent corollaries to shapes & solids.
No immediately-apparent, wide-ranging compression.

Now, mind you, I took five lousy minutes looking at it. I probably missed several things.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 14, 2013 at 3:08:35 am

I took a look at it today - it's got a lot to offer - but it's really missing some key capabilities, as Dave mentioned above. I couldn't find any reference to text capabilities at all - that makes it a non-starter...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 15, 2013 at 2:45:39 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] " I couldn't find any reference to text capabilities at all - that makes it a non-starter..."

I wasn't suggesting it was an After Effects equivalent or replacement, however it is an interesting combination of editorial and effects capabilities.

I've been playing with Davinci Resolve as well, now if they added editorial to that it might replace PPro for me, and the lite version which only limits you to 1920x1080, is free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]