ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D in AE??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Wickware3D in AE??
by on May 10, 2013 at 7:45:36 pm

Hello,

I am very new to AE but looking around it appears that you are able to do create some significant 3D animation within the program via Elements 3D, is this correct? What's the word on going this route as opposed to say working in Maya?

Thank you
Charles

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: 3D in AE??
by on May 10, 2013 at 7:56:07 pm

[Charles Wickware] "What's the word on going this route as opposed to say working in Maya?
"

Maya is a dedicated 3D application with a myriad of modelling and animation features that are not available in Element 3d or After Effects.

Element 3D is a 3rd party add on for After Effects that allows the use of pre-made 3D Models (OBJ and C4D files) for animation using openGL rendering. It is very nimble, well implemented for use in After Effects but far more limited than a 3D application.

Return to posts index

Charles WickwareRe: 3D in AE??
by on May 10, 2013 at 8:11:39 pm

Thank you, if one were to learn a 3D program, between 3DSMAX and Maya, which one would be best?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3D in AE??
by on May 10, 2013 at 8:37:26 pm

[Charles Wickware] "Thank you, if one were to learn a 3D program, between 3DSMAX and Maya, which one would be best?"

For working with Ae? None of the above. C4D has some cool new integration features in Ae CC -- and C4D Lite will come bundled with Ae CC when it's released next month.

Max also has a pretty interesting-looking bridge to Ae, but I've never used it.

For a better answer to your question -- what sort of work are you looking to do in 3D?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 10, 2013 at 8:44:24 pm

No, not to work specifically in AE. Just in general, which of the two is considered better? I'd like to begin building and animating 3D models. Specifically something like the rotating aircraft diagrams one would see in the "Dogfights" Military channel show.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: 3D in AE??
by on May 10, 2013 at 9:50:37 pm

[Charles Wickware] "which of the two is considered better?"

Tough call ask 5 people and you'll get 8 answers. There are several professional applications Maya, C4D, 3DS Max, and some open source as well. Blender is an amazing free product and a good place to start.

http://www.blender.org

Look at the examples of work done in Blender. As Walter says, if you're working in After Effects and 3D, Cinema 4D is the way to go. Particularly now that C4D is integrated into After Effects CC.

Return to posts index

by on May 10, 2013 at 9:51:45 pm

Thanks a bunch! Much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3D in AE??
by on May 11, 2013 at 8:12:01 pm

For this kind of animation you can use either Element 3d or Zaxwerks Invigorator/proanimator.
Element is a bit pretentious as to what it can import and how the files need to be prepared but it gives you really neat compositing options. Zaxwerks can import just about anything and it allows for some modeling and messing around with the textures.

You can find good examples for Element 3d on the videocopilot website.
Here's one for Zaxwerks and AE that I did:

You can find plenty of free to use 3d models on the web, so no need to model them yourself unless you want something specific.
Here's a good resource:
http://thefree3dmodels.com/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]