ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotobrush tool 59.94 comp settings mismatch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott DePaceRotobrush tool 59.94 comp settings mismatch
by on May 10, 2013 at 1:08:55 pm

I have HD footage that is 1920x1080 29.97. When I make my comp the same and use the rotobrush tool, it states a mismatch error- that in order for rotobrush to work better I should make the comp 59.94. My final project wants to be exported as an uncompressed YUV 10 bit 4:2:2 29.97 quicktime. When I use this setting after making my comp 59.94 the video looks stutttery. I had success reinterpreting my footage and turning off the separate fields option, but I don't think this is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotobrush tool 59.94 comp settings mismatch
by on May 10, 2013 at 1:56:16 pm

[Scott DePace] "I have HD footage that is 1920x1080 29.97"

That kind of footage is often interlaced, depending on the camera used. Many inexpensive consumer cameras will shoot that type of footage. It would be 59.94 interlaced FIELDS per second, not frames. But DSLR's will shoot whole frames.

If the footage contains FIELDS, it's possible to reinterpret the footage as 59.94, add it to a 59.94 comp, use Rotobrush, and then nest this comp in a 29.97 comp to be rendered out using the appropriate field order, Upper Field First. This works well with footage shot as interlaced scan and not progressive scan.

But you don't have to use that trick with 29.97 footage with complete frames: it's unnecessary.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved