ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsHow do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 9, 2013 at 11:44:28 am

Hi, I have text that I want to animate, so that it starts off lying flat on its back and then rotates upward in 3D space so it's facing the camera. When I put AE into 3D mode and do the animation, the perspective from the active camera is not what I want. In fact, I don't have a camera in the scene - nor do I want one really. I want it to look like it does in front view. I'm very new to AE so don't really know how to make this happen. Would someone be able to tell me, please? Thanks.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 9, 2013 at 1:47:25 pm

AE has no orthographic projection capabilities. The best you can do to acchieve this sort of look is to create a camera and move it back in Z, then raise it's zoom until you almost take all the perspective away.

(if you have no camera and a 3d object, AE uses a default one, though you wont see it in your comp)

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 9, 2013 at 1:57:27 pm

Thanks, Cassius! Good to know. I precomped the text and then added a camera into the precomp and repositioned the camera to remove the perspective. Then, I had to reposition the text precomp in the main comp. Too bad they don't have the ability to use the orthographic views. Would make things a lot simpler.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 9, 2013 at 3:25:56 pm

AE doesn't have orthographic views, but you CAN come close: use a camera with a ridiculously long focal length, positioned an incomprehensibly long distance from the subjects.

It's not the best solution, and if you require absolute precision in your orthographic views it won't work, but it does remain an option.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 9, 2013 at 11:50:09 pm

Thanks, Dave. It's an awful lot of work to just get some text to tilt back flat!:-)

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do You Make Simple 3D animations that look like Front View as opposed to Active Camera?
by on May 10, 2013 at 2:37:23 pm

[Scott Clements] "...It's an awful lot of work to just get some text to tilt back flat!:-)"

From that comment, I take it that the workaround of using the Front view, taking a window grab of the frame, then stepping to the next frame to create an image sequence is out of the question.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]