ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1 frame a second render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Pepperrell1 frame a second render
by on May 8, 2013 at 9:22:58 pm

Hi guys, im sure you're sick of hearing about render problems but heres mine anyway:

Ive recently been using the clone tool to extend the white background we've been shooting against, this is because we are doing body exercises and need to zoom out a fair bit and the screen is only 3metres wide so on the edges of the shot you can see where the screen ends or there is a person/prop there so I just used the clone tool to 'clone' the white over them.

Anyway I assumed the clone tool would suffice since I couldnt just add in a white solid because it wasnt evenly lit (Amateur production I know) and although it looks fine when I go to render these videos they take around 15 minutes to do 15-30 seconds of footage (one project had a render time of 9hrs for whatever reason) it generally renders at 1 frame a second.

I'ts not my output settings as I have had no problem rendering similar clips with the same output settings only they didnt have the clone tool being used. (im rendering from .mov to a .h264 which has a bit rate of 16mb's - im not entirely sure of my settings and cant check because im rendering now)

One other problem is that AE crashed once of twice noting the 'paint' feature to be the problem.

Ive got a new gen i5 processor, 8gb of ram and a good graphics card (£130 - cant remember name) and im running windows 7.

If this is just how long the clone tool takes to render, then could someone recommend a way of extending my white background to fill in the edges?

If someone could help, you'd save me a lot of hassle and I would be very grateful.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 1 frame a second render
by on May 8, 2013 at 11:09:59 pm

[Leo Pepperrell] "If this is just how long the clone tool takes to render, then could someone recommend a way of extending my white background to fill in the edges?"

Unless you have "Lock source time" checked, Ae is recalculating the clone from scratch on every individual frame. I guess that could add a little to your render time, especially if you have a zillion brush strokes.

If your background isn't changing, check "Lock source time" or do the paint work in Photoshop and import it as a still to avoid recalculating the cloning for every frame.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 1 frame a second render
by on May 9, 2013 at 12:49:21 am

AE's Clone/Brush tools can be slow when you have lots of strokes. You should be judicious when painting - use only as many strokes as is required. Increasing Brush Size will help to limit the number of strokes.

For your specific case, the Clone/Brush tool may not be an ideal solution. Look into using a Solid or a still image to fill in the gaps.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Leo PepperrellRe: 1 frame a second render
by on May 10, 2013 at 3:13:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think the problem was with using too many strokes on certain clips.

I wont be able to use a solid because of uneven lighting, but using Walters idea, I can just save the areas which are cloned as a frame and just use a jpg as a plate - which surely will be much faster to render. Most of the time there is no action in that area so I should be fine.

Cant believe I didn't think to do that, cheers guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved