ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joesph ArmstrongSpinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 8, 2013 at 1:09:22 am

This is my issue. I've created extruded three illustrator files by copying them, off-setting them in z-space, and then pre-composing the copies (40 per object, two rings and the center = 3 objects). What I want to do is have the two rings spin on a center axis around the center. My issue is that since the layers are stacked the portions of the ring that should pass behind the center as it spins do not, which ruins the effect.

My question is whether anyone knows of a way to enable the rings to properly spin around the object without the portions that should pass behind the center showing up in front? Feel free to ask for more images.

Before spin

During Spin

I fully understand how the stacking of layer affects this, however I am sure someone has found a workaround to achieve a look like this?

I also realize that AE CS6 can create 3D extruded objects. But as you can see below, my system specs won't allow for much versatility thus I have to resort to other methods.

After Effects CS6 (Adobe Production Premium CS6)
15" MacBookPro8,2
Intel Core i7
2 GHz
16 GB

(Specs below are outdated)

Machines:
- Macbook Pro Intel Core i7, 2 Ghz with 4GB ram, Snow-Leopard 10.6.8
- Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz with 3GB ram running Leopard

Software:
- Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro, Motion 3, Color 1.0)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 8, 2013 at 3:39:27 am

Turn on collapse transformations(symbol that looks like a little star) on your precomps and you should be good to go.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joesph ArmstrongRe: Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 8, 2013 at 5:34:57 pm

Ok I did that, however the layers still aren't rotating around the center the way I want them to. How should I organize my pre-comps in order to properly achieve the effect?

My pre-comp structure for each object is as follows (only a portion of the 40 pre-comp layers fit in the image):

Main Comp
->Precomp with 40 copies of off-set precomp layers.
--> Each of these copies is a Precomp with effects applied.
---> Inside these are two pre-comp, one of which has a stroke effect applied.
----> The original file.

Thank you for responding so quickly!

Machines:
- Macbook Pro Intel Core i7, 2 Ghz with 4GB ram, Snow-Leopard 10.6.8
- Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz with 3GB ram running Leopard

Software:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 8, 2013 at 8:58:19 pm

collapse transformations should work...

try this simple structure and it may help you troubleshoot your current project.

you have 3 ai files (outer ring, inner ring, center logo). drop each file into a new comp and enable each ai layer to be 3d.

drop those 3 comps into a new comp, set those pre-comp layers to be 3d and then animate the y rotations of the inner and/or outer ring comps.

it should resemble the pic you posted, where the layers obey layer order rather than 3d space.

now enable the collapse transformations option for each pre-comp, and the rings move around the center logo in a normal/expected way.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2013 at 2:05:43 am

If after trying Kevin's test(cause I just tested again and collapse transformations works on a simple project) you still can't get it to work, I'd be willing to take a look at the project if you want. Do a collect files, zip the project up and use the upload button above(last icon on the right). I'll download it and see if I can see where you are getting tripped up.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 9, 2013 at 2:06:10 am

2D layers, adjustment layers, and 3D layers with layer styles all break 3D intersection. You'll have to eliminate those adjustment layers and layer styles to get your 3D objects to intersect properly, instead of layering in 2D like they are now.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/3d-layers.html#3d_layer_interact...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2013 at 11:59:14 am

Probably won't need to upload anything, I overlooked it, but Walter's right, the adjustment layers are messing up the 3D interaction of your layers.

If you have your layers precomped though, you should be able to take any effects you have on the adjustment layers and apply them directly to your precomps.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Joesph ArmstrongRe: Spinning Custom 3D Extruded Layers Around Objects
by on May 10, 2013 at 12:18:38 am

Thank you for all the great advice gentlemen (thanks for the kind offer John). As noted in the document that Walter shared, the issue was caused by some comps with layer styles applied deep in the structure. I've reorganized it and everything is fine now.

This is the new structure for each of the objects:

Main Comp > 3DComp (FX Comps x40) >FXComp

- The illustrator files that I was using in the FX comp were unnecessarily pre-comped with layer styles applied. Simply taking these out of the comps and applying the effects directly to the file fixed this. If anyone wants more detail I can provide it.

Regards,
- Joe A.

Machine Specs: Macbook Pro Intel Core i7, 2 Ghz with 16GB ram, Snow-Leopard 10.6.8

Software:
- Adobe Production Premium CS6 (AE, PPro, PS, etc.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]