ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to assemble an output movie from pieces

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan ThomasHow to assemble an output movie from pieces
by on May 7, 2013 at 8:54:46 pm

Through scripting, we need to "assemble" if you will, our movie to be rendered. So in case #1, the movie should be segments 1, 2, and 3, in case #2, the movie is segments 1 and 3. In either case, the output is my_movie.mp4. What are ideas on how to do this? Our production process requires that this be done from scripting, so we don't have to open up a project and do it manually.

Would we do it "additive" where we create a new comp and populate it with existing comps, and then it gets rendered so that they play sequentially? Is this possible?

Or should it be more "subtractive" where we have a big comp, (perhaps with segments on different layers), and we turn some layers off, and then squash the timeline to remove empty frames? I'm just guessing here, I'm open to other ideas. Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to assemble an output movie from pieces
by on May 7, 2013 at 9:24:06 pm

Best is additive - far easier to script, say, "add timeline with suffix [01] and butt up timeline with suffix [03] and add to render queue"

I would strongly consider rendering uncompressed or an intermediate codec from After Effects. Adobe itself doesn't recommend rendering interframe codecs (assuming MP4 means an mpeg2, mpeg4, or h.264 codec) directly from AE as the process is slower and quality is lower.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Dan ThomasRe: How to assemble an output movie from pieces
by on May 8, 2013 at 12:05:09 am

Excellent, thanks so much for the response. Conceptually, I understand it, but can you provide any examples of the javascript code? (doesn't have to be working code).

Or is there some sort of tool in AE that you use? (as opposed to doing it by hand) Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved