ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question on how to create a trajectory in After Effects CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cesar Gonzalez
Question on how to create a trajectory in After Effects CS6
on May 6, 2013 at 4:35:35 am

Hello all, I have a question on how you guys think I should go about making an effect.

I've searched everywhere and have been trying several different approaches but first I'll describe the effect I'm trying to achieve.

I have an object being thrown and I want to make a semitransparent dashed trajectory as seen in this extremely crude MS Paint illustration I threw up in a minute or two: http://i.imgur.com/c3Qpr7H.png. I also want it to slowly disappear as the object goes through the trajectory.
The camera is moving as well, and I've already set up a null object tracking motion.

So I tried a few approaches. I tried drawing individual rectangles in a precomp and making a mask for the object that covers the rectangles (which eventually fade away) but that was really ugly and time consuming.

I tried making a line as well, but the fact that the camera moves made it too difficult for my level of ability.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything remotely similar to what I'm trying to achieve. Any ideas?

Specs in case they're needed.
Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz
AMD Radeon HD7850 2GB
16GB 4x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
2x1TB 7200RPM Caviar Black
Adobe After Effects CS6 (Creative Cloud)

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

William Scholik
Re: Question on how to create a trajectory in After Effects CS6
on May 6, 2013 at 4:33:09 pm

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but if you have particular you might be able to use the process to get the look you are looking for.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/park_michael/red-giant-stitch-effec...

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Cesar Gonzalez
Re: Question on how to create a trajectory in After Effects CS6
on May 7, 2013 at 1:32:59 pm

Wow this is absolutely brilliant and almost definitely what I was looking for! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]