ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Di BerardinoSharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace
by on May 4, 2013 at 6:00:23 pm

Hi everyone, as the title, can someone please explain me what does mean sharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace in AE?

Thank in advance.

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Sharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace
by on May 4, 2013 at 11:04:53 pm

deinterlace:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/deinterlace.php

sharpen - sounds like you need to read this first:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

then just search for the many tutorials on this matter

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrea Di BerardinoRe: Sharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace
by on May 5, 2013 at 5:32:35 pm

Thanks Ted,
you've been very helpful.

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Sharpen a footage 25% and how to deinterlace
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:11:53 pm

Those are two interesting questions because of may be overoptimistic expectations of AE's capabilities. I hope that's not the case for you.

The link supplied by Ted demonstrates how to do basic deinterlacing: this technique uses just one of the fields of a video frame to create an entire video frame. In other words, the result is an image containing just half of the vertical resolution. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it might sound, and it might work for you.

If you require all the the vertical resolution in the interlaced video -- and you want to do it in AE -- Reelvision's Twixtor is a very good, but pricey third-party plugin.

And the Sharpen effect? It sounds like it ought to sharpen the picture, I bet... and it does, when used sparingly: it helps on edges. But is a fuzzy eyebrow an edge? It can be. Do you need to fix a fuzzy eyebrow? No clue. However, there is one thing that Sharpen is NOT: If you're thinking the term "sharpen" actually means "fix an out-of-focus shot" you would be sadly mistaken, and your best bet would be to re-shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:30:47 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for replay.
I have this project and unfortunately i cannot update any footages.
In the job description, they ask me:

Please sharpen all footages 25% before applying your effects on top.
Select DEINTERLACED due to the possible generation degrade.

I do not really understand.

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:40:46 pm

[Andrea Di Berardino] "Please sharpen all footages 25% before applying your effects on top.
Select DEINTERLACED due to the possible generation degrade."

I see all sorts of red flags here.

There is NO 25% setting for AE's Sharpen effect. The effect goes from 0-4000, and I would NOT sharpen in AE as much as 1000: that would be just ugly. You will need to know how this 25% figure is derived: what is the precise effect that has this control?

Since you received this footage from someone else, ask them if the footage was SHOT as interlaced or progressive-scan. What is its frame rate currently? Since there could be a difference, what does the client say that the frame rate is INTENDED to be?

As far as the term "generation degrade" goes, any decrease in image quality has much more to do with the codec of the footage than whether it's interlaced or not. What is the codec of the footage you were given?

If those are all the delivery specifications you received, you don't have what you need to deliver up to expectations. My suspicion is that someone who knows Photoshop (but not AE) came up with the lame specs you currently have.

You should know the media container (Quicktime, AVI, MXF, etc), the codec (ProRes, Cineform, Animation, PNG), frame rate, horizontal resolution, vertical resolution, pixel aspect ratio, field order, (upper field first, lower field first, or no field order which indicates progressive)and presence of an audio channel (stereo, mono, or none at all).

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2013 at 7:56:27 am

Dear Dave, i also was thinking like you about 25%, the value in AE does not work in percent and 1000 as you said, is too much. So here is a report of the footages. Thank for your help.

Format profile : QuickTime
Format : DV
Codec ID : dvcp
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
Width : 703 pixels
Original width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.414

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2013 at 6:30:55 pm

Thank you for the details. You will need to get clarification.

Standard Definition video images can be shot either as interlaced-scan or progressive-scan. Because it is SD, it is recorded with two fields per frame: it is the technical standard for the medium.

The important difference is in the camera. Did it capture the entire frame in the same instant, then record it as two fields, as it must? This is progressive scan. You can interpret the footage in AE with a field order of None, and everything will be fine.

Did it capture one field and record it, then capture the next field and record it, creating a slight time difference between the two fields? This is interlaced scan.

Interpreting interlaced-scan footage with a field order of None in AE will NOT improve the image quality. Using just one field to create progressive video REDUCES image quality. If you use a third-party plugin like Twixtor to convert the interlaced-scan footage into progressive footage may preserve, but not improve, the image quality.

You can preserve all available image quality in interlaced-scan footage in AE by interpreting it in the proper field order and rendering it in the proper field order: lower field first. Your instructions to use Progressive only are incorrect. Wrong. Not right.

You need to learn the provenance of the footage: was it shot interlaced-scan or progressive Scan?
You need to learn the delivery Codec. I think you would use DV50 or DVCPro50, but you need to find this out.

Good Luck.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]