ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't Get Camera Keyframes to Behave Properly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark HonerCan't Get Camera Keyframes to Behave Properly
by on May 3, 2013 at 9:53:52 pm

Hello all, I'm having trouble keyframing and animating a camera move. I have a large map of the world (flat) that I am zooming over and highlighting a few key cities. The idea is that the camera slows down as it passes the specific cities and then zooms out and in to the next. The problem I'm having is when I add easy ease, the camera slows to a stop for a split second and then gets going again. I am trying to eliminate the stop, but retain the brief slowdown so the city can be viewed. The puzzling part is that easy ease works the way I want on some of the zoom outs. The camera zooms out to reveal more of the map as it heads east to the next city, and there is not stop just a smooth slowing as it reaches the apex. Any ideas?

DHTV Digital

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can't Get Camera Keyframes to Behave Properly
by on May 3, 2013 at 10:00:00 pm

You ought to be able to correct it fairly easily by using AE's Graph Editor to adjust the speed.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Can't Get Camera Keyframes to Behave Properly
by on May 4, 2013 at 11:29:54 am

Dave is right that tweaking the keyframes is the easiest way to sort this out. An alternative, if you want the camera to always be moving, is to create a camera rig with two or more parented Nulls. The first Null would be used to do the movement across the map, with easing to make the camera moves softer. The second Null would come into play when you 'land' somewhere, by adding some local movement - a slight move from one side to another, a rotation around the target - so that the camera is never static. During the next jump across the map, you can reset the position of the second Null, ready for the next site. You can do this in a semi-automated way with the Sure Target plug-in from VideoCopilot, which animates the camera between a series of Nulls, which can be animated individually to create lots of movement.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved