ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can you fix my project? Match Rotoscoped layer w/ surrounding blend mode.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle CoxCan you fix my project? Match Rotoscoped layer w/ surrounding blend mode.
by on May 3, 2013 at 9:27:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm back, this time with a new issue on the same project. After you guys solved my disappearing shadow problem, I decided to play with some blending modes to change the overall look of my composition.

I settled on the 'Stencil Luma' blending mode, just liked the overall contrasty/comic look it gave the footage. My issue now is how to get my Rotoscoped layer on top to match the background footage (which has the Stencil Luma blending mode applied to it). You'll notice that in my final rendered video, as soon as the rotoscope takes effect (pants/legs of the fighter on the left), the colors no longer match the background footage. At the same time, I can't simply duplicate and stack my rotoscoped layer, then apply Stencil Luma to the top layer (like I did with the background footage). This effects my 3D font and everything else beneath it, giving an unwanted look.

I'm aware that my solution likely involves some kind of precomposition, but I've been toying with it and can't seem to figure it out on my own. I've attached my project file and my final rendered video so that you guys can look at my layers (and see the finished project) and perhaps tell me where I went wrong. If you have any questions as to what any of the layers are, etc, please feel free to ask (I say this because obviously, the media is going to be disconnected - this fight clip was much too large to upload).

Please let me know if you have an idea as to how I can apply this exact same 'Stencil Luma' look to my rotoscoped layer! Thanks for your help thus far,

PS: in case you're wondering what the rotoscope is for, it's to make the fighters appear to be 'in front of' the 3d text that reads 'TESTING' in the lower left portion of the frame (light purple).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved