ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New to After Effects. Animating Text Along Animation Path.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco AguilarNew to After Effects. Animating Text Along Animation Path.
by on May 2, 2013 at 10:37:44 pm

I'm following along step by step with the Adobe After Effects Classroom in a book. I'm Animating the Text "Directed by" along an Animation Path. For some reason the TEXT is upside down and reversed along the path. In the path options when I click "Perpendicular to path off" The text "Directed by" is no longer upside down but it is backwards as if facing a mirror. Instead of "Directed by" its "yb detcerid". When I click reverse path "Directed by" is upright and not mirrored but it's coming from the direction that I don't want. I selected the path and clicked LAYER/TRANSFORM/AUTO ORIENT/ORIENT TO PATH but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any suggestions? Why did it start off upside down along the path when I typed it?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: New to After Effects. Animating Text Along Animation Path.
by on May 3, 2013 at 1:30:42 pm

It probably started upside down because the text direction is determined by the mask's first vertex. So which ever point was the first one you created is where the text starts from. When you look at the mask path, you can see which point is the first vertex as it's a double square a filled one, surrounded by an outline. Either create a new mask or you could buy/install this script: Reverse Mask Path

As far making the text move in the direction you would like once you get it set on the path correctly, just use the "Animate" fly out, add a "Position" animator and animate the x position.

I made a simple project to illustrate the problem, in the path options toggle the masks named "first position on the right" and "first position on the left" to see what happens.

Some more great resources to supplement Classroom in a book can be found here, this page with has links to a lot of free learning resources. Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved