ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Basic question I can't figure out.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin DeanBasic question I can't figure out.
by on May 2, 2013 at 9:44:10 pm

I have the riot gear pack with some of the ink blots. I don;t know how to change their colors. Like I'm going to use one for blood splatter, but can't change it from white to black.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Basic question I can't figure out.
by on May 2, 2013 at 9:52:50 pm

Magical incantations might help.

No, No, No, if it has an alpha channel, just use the Fill effect to make it any color you want.

It sounds like you might get a whole lot of good out of the following link:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin DeanRe: Basic question I can't figure out.
by on May 3, 2013 at 2:41:45 am

Treat me like someone who has no clue. Where would I find the alpha channel, and keep in the mind the background is black and the paint splatter is white.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Basic question I can't figure out.
by on May 3, 2013 at 7:46:04 am

Use the Green channel of the image itself as an alpha channel by using the Set Matte Effect (under Channel Effects).
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Basic question I can't figure out.
by on May 3, 2013 at 11:49:00 am

The alpha channel is an 8 bit black and white channel channel that tells compositing and video programs what should be transparent and what should be seen. You can check to see if something has an alpha channel in a couple ways. Click the asset in your project window and it will display some information, including whether it has an alpha channel. Also there is a Red/Green/Blue pulldown beneath the comp window, if you click that you can choose alpha, after you select it if you have an alpha you will see a white full white version of your shapes. Start a new project, create a solid(cntl+y), mask it and than change to the comp to show alpha's, now you can see an alpha channel.

As it turns out I have the riot gear pack and they don't have alpha channels. The easiest way to correct this is to use the free plugin Unmult from Red Giant. Download it(make sure you choose the correct one for your system, probably 64 bit), install it in your plugins folder, restart AE, apply it to your layer and now you can add a fill effect to colorize your paint splatter.

Sometimes you might want to add a level's effect, change the pulldown to alpha, change your comp to alpha and adjust adjust the black and white outputs to create a stronger alpha than unmult creates, but not really necessary with the riot gear stuff.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Basic question I can't figure out.
by on May 3, 2013 at 3:01:32 pm

If your footage doesn't have an alpha channel (and I don't think Riot Gear does) then you need to create an alpha channel from the black/white matte. My favorite way to do this is to use the Channels > Shift Channels effect and set the Alpha property (the first drop down) to Luminance.

Then you can use the Generate > Fill effect as previously described.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]