ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble Camera Solving a moving shot from a train window in Mocha Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Brennan
Trouble Camera Solving a moving shot from a train window in Mocha Pro
on May 2, 2013 at 12:19:54 am

I have a shot where I'm filming out the window at a train yard from above. I used Element 3D to composite a jet that swoops in and fires 2 rockets at a train causing in to blow up. I'm not trying to go super in depth but I really need the explosion to look good and be tracked properly so taht it looks like it fits in the scene.

I've been using Mocha Pro to try to camera solve the area around where I want the explosion to sit, but its not solving correctly. I've done at least 5 different tracks using between 3 and 5 layers, and one track with multiple splines per layer. I've used multiple tutorials with the title "How to track difficult shots" and still no dice. I'm also not %100 on when to set the grid in your track and if it actually affects your track or not. Do you set it before or after you track your shot?

Any suggestions? Is the large parralax parameter not large enough?

Here is the composition without the explosions. I'm currently compositing an explosion in element because the AE2 pack I have is only 720p. Is there an alternative way to track 2D footage into this shot without having to use a 3D solution?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Trouble Camera Solving a moving shot from a train window in Mocha Pro
on May 3, 2013 at 1:51:46 am

1) Try using fewer splines - you only need 2, maybe 3 to define the planes necessary for a 3D Cam Solve in mochaPro for this shot.

2) Try using AE's 3D Camera Solver

3) The grid is used as a reference. Hence you may use it prior to and after tracking.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]