COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris artiscolor
by on May 1, 2013 at 9:43:23 pm

How can I achieve this look,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: color
by on May 1, 2013 at 10:18:51 pm

There's probably a preset in Color Finesse, which comes with AE, that can get you close.

Part of that look comes from the very soft lighting that comes with shooting outdoors on a cloudy day.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chris artisRe: color
by on May 1, 2013 at 10:24:20 pm

Thanks alot, I will try the presets

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: color
by on May 2, 2013 at 8:00:00 am

A lot of it has to do with the art direction for the shot- the color, materials and background that where chosen.
A good plugin for color grading with a lot of presets is Magic Bullet Looks.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: color
by on May 2, 2013 at 5:39:26 pm

Yeah, the fastest way is to find a quick preset you like.

If you wanted to do it manually (or have a better understanding of what you did to get there) I'd try selectively desaturating specific colors using Hue/Sat. Turn down the greens and blues. Make sure you're not losing too much of your browns/yellow/red. I'd also add contrast using curves. Notice how the whites are blowing out on the back wall. For a lot of creative flexibility, you can also use Colorama to push specific colors into specific value ranges. Colorama is my "stranded on a desert island with only one effect" effect, but it takes getting used to. Colorama doesn't initially pop up with any presets that are very useful, so you'll need to take some time to understand it. It's useful for things like our old favorite "Matrix" look, where some deep greens were pushed into the near-blacks. Let me know if you want more info about it.

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: color
by on May 8, 2013 at 4:42:19 pm

Looks like bleach bypass. The basic approach I like to use for a bleach bypass effect is to apply the Tint effect to an Adjustment Layer above my footage and set its blend mode to Soft Light (less intense) or Hard Light (more intense). You can change the Opacity of the Adjustment Layer to change the intensity of the effect as well.

This is not enough to finish a shot, you'll still want to do color correction and may want to add some effects (blurring? sharpening?). You'll get a different look if you apply them before or after the bleach bypass adjustment layer.

Also the way that the footage was originally lit will have a huge impact on the final look. Here are a couple of different looks that incorporate a bleach bypass effect for reference:

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: color
by on May 8, 2013 at 4:48:22 pm

Please tell me you did that Captain America poster. That's such an awesome look. (It helps that I'm listening to the Inception soundtrack). I'd love to see the original raw photo, because a simple composition like that is so much more work than people realize.

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved