ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Have: approx 10,000 hrs of security cam footage. Hope: 20 min "time lapse"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke CaratanHave: approx 10,000 hrs of security cam footage. Hope: 20 min "time lapse"
by on May 1, 2013 at 4:39:43 pm

My company has a construction project that will last a total of approx. 18 months. Initially for security purposes, we set up a camera system with a DVR that could record a few weeks of history. We are now two months into construction and management has asked me to look into creating a time lapse of the entire project.

At this point, simple math tells me that I have 1,689 hours of video recorded on the DVR. Expanding that math out to match the full construction timeline would tell me that the entire project will encompass approx. 12,000 hours. The DVR seems to break the clips into either 20 min or 4.5 hours sections of video totaling 650 different, sequential clips.

My question is this: Does anyone know of an efficient (possibly automated) way of speeding up all the clips and stitching them together to form one “time-lapse-like” video?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer. I hope I have placed this question in the appropriate forum. I have been using this website as an incredible resource and have seen many questions about time-lapse in this section so hopefully my question can be answered too!

Return to posts index

Lenny GreasterRe: Have: approx 10,000 hrs of security cam footage. Hope: 20 min "time lapse"
by on May 2, 2013 at 1:36:19 pm

With all that footage here's what I'd do.
Calculate the number of frames you want to end up with (final frame rate x final run time for the time lapse). Then divide the footage by that number, then by the time of the raw footage. So you end up with something like 1 frame per 60min or whatever. Then I would make a batch script for FFMPEG to save out single frames based on that time for each large video file - like for a two hour video, save out a frame every 60 min. giving you two frames. Then use whatever your NLE is to compile all the frames into a single video - that's the timelapse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved