ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Water effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex MorrisWater effects
by on May 1, 2013 at 9:03:58 am

Hi all,

Just a quick query to call on your collective experience.

I've got a recurring 'underwater' comp put together in AE (embedded below), but need to have logos, and titles appear in a way that appears natural, as if the item is 'swimming' toward to camera and out of the murkiness. Just wondered if there was a way that anybody would advise this to best work in this kind of environment.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Water effects
by on May 1, 2013 at 11:09:03 am

I don't think you need to do anything more complicated than good blur(lens blur)/opacity to simulate the distortion you would get from something moving towards you from underwater. If you use lens blur, create a depth matte(might need to be animated if your logos are moving just from front to back) and you should be good to go.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Alex MorrisRe: Water effects
by on May 1, 2013 at 11:15:06 am

Hey John,

That's pretty much exactly what I've been doing in the meantime and happy with results. Keeping just a touch of lens blur in at the end of the animation also makes the logo/text look a little more natural too.

Many thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Tayo OnabuleRe: Water effects
by on May 1, 2013 at 12:25:09 pm

You could always try adding a little Turbulant Displace at the same time as the blur is on. Keyframe the evolution from one end of the comp to the other. Should add an extra watery-ness.

Tayo Onabule
LightStorm Visuals

Return to posts index

Alex MorrisRe: Water effects
by on May 2, 2013 at 12:49:58 pm

Thanks all, a bit of turbulant displace on the text elements worked really nicely too. Very happy with the results :)

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Water effects
by on May 1, 2013 at 2:13:26 pm

If you had been looking for something with a bit more realism I would have suggested Aurora which is a wonderful plugin for AE.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved