ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteauanimated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:29:56 pm

I know how to do the animated typewriter effect using either the typewriter tool or "character offset".

But let's say I have a block of text broken up into 5 lines. I want to be able to stop the animated typewriter between lines for a given number of seconds so that the viewer can take in each line after it's been typed rather than have all the lines type out without any pauses.

Is this possible? Or would I have to separately animate each of the 5 lines?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:37:58 pm

Without having AE open in front of me, I would think by creating a duplicate animation key frame then sliding it forward you could create the pause between each lines revealing.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:09:41 pm

You can precomp the animated type layer and use Time Remap to adjust the animation and create pauses in between lines or letters.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:23:09 pm

Apply the animation preset, then open the layer's properties. See what's animated; it's just a single property animated with keyframes. You can add keyframes to make that animation happen however you want, including holding on a value for a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Nick NatteauRe: animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:24:27 pm

Thank you Tom and Ted.

I'm currently copying and pasting the end keyframes for each line of text and turning the pasted ones into "hold keyframes" to stop the typing that way. Now I wonder whether it might not be better to simply create a text layer for each line?

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: animated typewriter: is it possible to pause the animation between lines of text???
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:34:40 pm

Depending on your comfort level with altering animation key frames, doing it line by line might be faster or easier.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]