ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remembering a letter - Text effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonçalo SampaioRemembering a letter - Text effect
by on Apr 27, 2013 at 5:59:57 pm

Hey guys!

I'm directing this little project at high school. We're going to make a video about discrimination blablabla and there's these scene I could use your help. Even though it is just a school project, I have really high expectations and I want the final result to be very good (considering we're just science students, not multimedia).

So, about the movie. I really need your help to this. It's a very short scene that goes like this. There's this guy who is waiting for a person on the airport and is remembering a letter. The letter is just two sentences long - ten words. What I imagined doing here is to normally record him on the airport (the scene continues there after this), and the words of the letter would appear glowing on the screen around him. I can't remember any particular movie but it's the classic scene when a person is looking to a sentence or a sequence of numbers and notes something and these particular numbers or words glow, highlight.

What I would like is to you guys help me finding an effect like that, but without any paper on the back. It would be just him remembering the words. Then I could use some help replicating the effect on afterfx.

I know you can help :D

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Gabriel TougasRe: Remembering a letter - Text effect
by on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:34:04 am

How familiar are you with After Effects?

You could start by importing the footage into your project and then simply putting the sentences in using a Text layer. Play with the font, size and placement until you like what you see.

Then, there's a whole host of things you could do, but a good start is to use the Glow effect on the text. All the parameters are fully customizable and key-frameable, meaning that they can change over the course of clip (glow brighter, dimmer, whatever).

After that, if you want to make the words look like they're behind your actor, you can create a Mask to hide the words where your actor is.

Googling all these different things (adding text, effects, and masks) for your version of AE should be fairly simple.

If you have any more questions or if you can find a clip of something you had in mind, feel free to post them and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm really not that experienced, there are some real pros here that could do quite a bit more for you too.

Return to posts index

Gonçalo SampaioRe: Remembering a letter - Text effect
by on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:32:11 am

Thank you very much Gabriel. I have already some experience on After Effects and I can do a similar effect to the one I want. But the reason why I posted here is to see if anyone recognizes the effect from a movie and can post a clip from it so that I can inspire on something concrete. I've tried searching for one, but unsuccessfully... Then if you could give me some guidelines of course I'd be appreciated too :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved