ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render doesn't finish AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joakim Tonnberg
Render doesn't finish AE CS6
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:30:35 pm

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here on CreativeCow, since I've always been able to get help from other posts in the past, but now I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem, so I figured I'll make my own. So I want to apologize in advance if it doesn't make sense.

Basically, I'm trying to render out a 5 minute video in After Effects CS6 and the estimated remaining time keeps going slowly up together with the elapsed time. I left it on for 8 hours and it still said it needed 18 hours to go, and rising.

It's a photo montage with roughly 60 pictures, with Roughen Edges and Drop Shadow effects on them. They are 3D layers so I can animate them to "fall in" to the frame, one by one, as a camera moves to each picture as it's dropped.

I've tried with and without multiprocessing, and I'm rendering it out to QT, PhotoJPG at 95% quality (read over at VideoCoPilot that it's a fast render option). I've also tried both Animation and ProRes (planned on editing later in FCP) but it's all the same. The render just doesn't finish if it keeps slowing down exponentially like that.

My specs are:
Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Not a great machine, I know, but it's worked fine with some patience in the past. So I'm assuming something is wrong.

The comp sizes are set to 2560*1440 because I wanted to avoid having the pictures "cut off" as the fall in and are on the edge of frame, but I'm rendering it out to 1280*720 (rendering every 2 frames). Is this a massive mistake on my part?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Render doesn't finish AE CS6
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:40:34 pm

Try rendering and exporting to an image sequence. Then, you can import that and transcode it into a self-contained movie file if you like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joakim Tonnberg
on Apr 27, 2013 at 10:24:19 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the fast reply! I will definitely test this as soon as I get home from work.
But just to clarify, do you mean I should re-import the image sequence back into AE and then render it out to a QT file from there? I did some quick research just to see if it is a faster export, but I didn't understand all of what I read. Is it faster to render out an image sequence than the comp I already have?

Thank you again, I'll post as soon as I know if it works!

Return to posts index

Joakim Tonnberg
on Apr 28, 2013 at 11:09:09 am

Hi again!

Sadly, exporting it as an image sequence is still slowing it down hugely. It will still take 10 or so hours (if not more by the time it's done) to render just the images out. Then I hope the transcoding won't take as long after that.
But thank you for the tip!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:54:28 am

The most valuable thing about rendering and exporting to an image sequence is that if something fails partway through, you can pick up where you left off, which you can't do when rendering and exporting to a self-contained movie file. So, if you're hitting some sort of memory problem (or whatever) in the middle and need to restart the application and computer, you can just pick up from the middle when you restart.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

andrew bird
Render doesn't finish in AE CS6 : Poss Solution #
on May 25, 2013 at 9:37:03 pm

Same problem has hit me and quite a few other people. After effects only renders part of a work area or complete comp and reports a "complete render" bling giving an incomplete render. Doesn't make for happy clients.

Diagnostic comp switching CPU/GPU and rendering out comps with single plug-ins including VideoCopilot E3D and OF.

Hopefully I can help someone with this simple solution:

Clean your media cache in the AE preferences.

Reset your After Effects preferences in library/preferences/adobe/aftereffects by renaming or deleting the folder (CS5/10. CS6=11.).

Downgrade the CUDA driver (at time of writing, V5) to Version 4. This solved it on two computers for me. AE CS6 does not seem to be recognising CUDA 5 at the time of writing; some people even get a note on startup "Ray-tracing on the GPU requires…".

I actually lost a bit of speed (could just be my imagination) but now I have completed renders
, a faster computer (after a cleaned media cache) and a smiling client.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]