ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Simple Codec Comparement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob PhalangeSimple Codec Comparement
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:16:24 pm

(First, sorry if it's in the wrong place. It's my first post and have only read Creative Cow when I came from google, but now I want to give something back).
Lately I have bin working with a project that have bin more than messy, and I started looking into different codecs. We haven't really thought about codecs and quality before.

When we went from Mac to PC we went from Prores to DNxHD and didn't think much about it. So we converted film to DNxHD -> VFX DNxHD -> CC DNxHD -> Final Export DNxHD. As you can guess, much quality got lost. Now I have looked over our workflow and our codecs to use and made a small spreadsheet about it that I thought would be good to share because after so much searching I didn't find much else than text saying "this is good, this is bad"

I compared QT Animation, Avid 1:1, Cineform, DNxHD 185 10-bit, h.264 10 000kb/s and 60 000kb/s, JPG, PNG, TIFF och UC10 YUV 10 bit 4:2:2 (Google Docs spreadsheet)

I created the test with the EFX AB Compare plugin, picked difference and put multiply to 10 so you really would see the difference well.

Hope this can help some people for the future! If you want me to try other codecs, tell me and I'll run it!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Simple Codec Comparement
by on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:36:22 am

I'm curious. How did you manage to get around the terrible errors in DNxHD superwhites when working in 32bpc in After Effects?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Simple Codec Comparement
by on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:06:18 pm

AE Next is reported to have MXF DNxHD as its"designated" ccdec on PCs. It will take advantage of the new ability for Smart rendering in PrP.

I know it will be a faster codec in PCs due to the lack of a need for qt32serve (which QT DNxHD needed).

I have used MXF OP1a AVC-100 for mastering up until now as a substitute for Prores (for obvious reasons).

I am optimistic about now using MXF DNxHD.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved