ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby BennettDuplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 7:10:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm creating a reel at the moment which includes about 40 different titles. Having created a decent animation and 3D title, I needed to duplicate the main comp in order to change the text in the pre-comp.

This was no problem thanks to the True Duplicator from AeScripts.

True Duplicator saved an amazing amount of time by duplicating the main comps, as well as all the pre-comps inside - effectively allowing me to edit the texts, therefore ending up with 40 titles as I wished.

However, the question I am now posing is the following: what if I want to go and change something in the design of the title, for example something (say a background layer) in the main comp?

Of course I can change it easily in one of the 40 duplicated comps, but how am I supposed to get this change into all of the other 39 comps? If I Alt+Click the comp to replace the others, that just overrides the text pre-comps, so they all end up looking the same, and the text has to be re-typed.

Is there any way around having to do this, and therefore the arduous task of re-typing all the text after a redesign?

Thanks very much in advance, and apologies if this is obvious...

Toby

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Duplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:30:40 pm

Instead of using True Comp Duplicator, check out CompsFromSpreadsheet [link].

Basically, you set up a template, then the script duplicates the comp for you, populating values from a spreadsheet.

If you need to make a design change, you change the template comp and then run the script again to create a new set of populated comps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Toby BennettRe: Duplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:50:56 pm

Top stuff, I'll try this out tomorrow. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Toby BennettRe: Duplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:05:44 pm

I'm just wondering Walter, will this duplicate my pre-comps within my main comp as well? The text which needs to be updated from the spreadsheet is nested within 3 pre-comps.

I realise the ! can be used before the pre-comps.

Return to posts index

Loren O'LaughlinRe: Duplicating Comps and Changing Pre-Comps
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:24:58 am

If you check out the newest version of the plugin True Comp Duplicator v3.9.3 you'll see that they have allowed for excluding either particular comps (like your background layer) or anything beyond a certain depth in the flow chart of the comp. It's all in the video below the fold. :)

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]