ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What do you think about selling templates on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danilo AlmeidaWhat do you think about selling templates on
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:43:47 pm

I just come from the site and, as a producer, i really dont´t know what to think about their subscrition system and the "seven days downwload everything you want for free" thing. In the last year, i sold some of my After Effects templates in the website and i got some positive results. And i really liked the way the revostock treats the producers. My first impression on the site was that they do not care very much about producers. They do no have much info on the site about how the payments are made. And they do not seem very interested in winning the trust from the producer. The prices from After Effects templates keeps falling down and seem to want lower the prices even more. But i may be wrong about this.

So, what do you guys think about this? Someone here are selling templates on the

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:50:28 pm

Here's my take, using the metaphor of car dealers:

A place like Revostock is the Mercedes dealership.
Videoblocks is Smilin' Al's Economy Car Corner, and Al wears plaid pants and white leather shoes.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:34:03 pm

Many of the AE Templates on Videoblocks are also sold on Revostock. The problem I have with Videoblocks is that they are based on a monthly fee, whereas Revostock and most other outlets are a per item purchase scenario. If you need lots and lots of stock, then $79 for unlimited downloading may be best. However, if you only need an occasional download, then paying per item may make more sense.

"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:28:49 pm

I sold a couple things on Pond5, with the funds being deposited to my PayPal account. They have a non-exclusive rate of 50%.

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Nikki JonesRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on May 2, 2013 at 12:51:08 am

I'm with Video Blocks, and hopefully I can provide a relatively unbiased response to your concerns!

The reason that you don't see any information on about how we pay contributors is because we do not accept third party submissions like Pond5/Revo and other marketplaces.

Because of our subscription model and the free trial that we offer, it would be unfair to accept submissions and then give away contributor's material. Instead, we get our content in one of three ways:

1) We create it in-house (we have a studio in Washington DC and some fun equipment like the Vision Research Phantom, and we have on-staff videographers who travel the world)

2) We pay on a work-for-hire basis to have original content created (example: The aerial video of New York City that we have on We paid $10,000 to rent a Jetranger helicopter, outfit it with 20lbs of giros and a Varicam and shoot for 2 hours)

3) Or we occasionally purchase non-exclusive rights to existing material and then pay a large sum up front to the contributors.

When we do purchase third party clips, we typically pay lump sums in the ballpark of $10,000 and upwards for batches of clips. We pay it immediately before distributing any material. Because it is a non-exclusive purchase, we also encourage contributors to continue selling their clips on Pond5/Revo/Shutterstock, etc. This way the contributors make money, we get great material, and our Video Blocks members have access to high quality clips.

We do not work with very many third party contributors, but when we do we try to make it a great experience up front, and develop an ongoing relationship. In 2012 alone we paid our small group of contributors over $600,000.

Does this make sense?

- Nikki

Nikki Jones
11160-C1 South Lakes Dr.
Suite 262
Reston, VA 20191
(P) (866) 282-5360

Video Blocks is a 2012 Inc. 500 Honoree
Ranked #4 Fastest Growing Media Company

Return to posts index

Danilo AlmeidaRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on May 2, 2013 at 1:27:09 pm

Thank you guys for the answers.

And Nikki, yes, this makes sense. Thank you for clarify how operates. I stopped with templates for a while, but i intend to return and make better ones. I hope we can do business in the future.

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: What do you think about selling templates on
by on May 2, 2013 at 5:23:03 pm

Thanks for your info Nikki. For the most part, I like the VideoBlocks footage. As you guys add content, my hope would be that you abandon some of your older, lower quality clips (and SD footage) that I've run into and maybe ease back on the compression. I'd be happy to download a file twice as large for less compression. (Admittedly, I was hoping to knock out the background, which is going to tough with any type of compression.) Maybe there's a way you could provide some low-compression shots when it's pretty obvious the shot would be used for compositing: a greenscreen shot, fires, smokes, transitions, etc.

Anyway, I think you guys are on the right track. Sure beats paying $100+ for a single clip on the other sites. Thanks!

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved