ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

tracking of a custom erasure?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iversontracking of a custom erasure?
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 12:00:35 pm

I have two layers, one on top of the other. The bottom layer is slightly sharper than the top layer. For this particular application, I've custom erased around an object in the top layer to allow the bottom layer to show through therefore giving the object a slightly sharper appearance than the rest of the scene. Now I want to track this custom erasure as the object moves, so the object continues to appear to stand out slightly in sharpness. what's the procedure for tracking of this erased sharpness as the object moves around? I've been able to do two tracking points of the object as it moves, now I have to figure out how to apply this tracking to the custom erasure so the erasure moves with the tracking. I could also do this with a mask if I had to and then just track the mask. In any case, can someone direct me to a tutorial/ instructions? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: tracking of a custom erasure?
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:09:56 pm

How are you erasing (masking out) the top layer?

If the subject you're trying to keep sharp changes shape you'll have to do it with a mask. Otherwise just apply that track to a null and link it to whatever you're using to matte.

I can only advise you better if I see a screenshot of what you got there.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: tracking of a custom erasure?
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:52:29 pm

If you were to use either mochaAE or mochaPro, you would track translation and export the tracking data with either mochaShape or translation data. With the latter, you will apply a mask on the tracking data (applied to a SOlid).

It's actually much easier to export an instance of mochaShape.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: tracking of a custom erasure?
by on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:58:07 pm

Here are two videos that show rather different approaches to the same problem:

In the first, I show how to use the Roto Brush, and in the second I show how to use motion tracking and a mask. Both give the result of selectively applying an effect to a specific region of a layer.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved