ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Editing Keyframe tangents numerically

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim DarskiEditing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:09:51 pm

I have been trying to research this but so far I couldn't find an answer...
In C4D I can edit path keyframe tangent numerically. It's very useful if I want to zero one side on the keyframe while keeping its ease-in on the other side.
Can I have that kind of control in AE? I can try to do it by just moving a tangent handle, but it's far from ideal. Changing keyframe velocity didn't do anything... I don't know where to access these values.
Thanks for your help...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Editing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:22:19 am

Couple of things you can do to edit the keyframe ease. First right click the keyframe and choose keyframe velocity. IMO, it's easier to do this by opening the graph editor. To do that, click on the property you want to edit/manipulate then click on the the graph symbol in the layer panel.

The graph editor is a power tool - you might want to look over About animation, keyframes, and expressions
The Graph Editor
, to familiarize yourself with it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Editing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:02:08 pm

To zero out like that would be to change it's influence not it's velocity, a feature that I think c4d lacks.

BTW, shift + f3 is the shortcut for that graph panel, took me a while to find out.

Return to posts index

Jim DarskiRe: Editing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:27:01 pm

Sorry for this long wait - just got to move on to some other things meanwhile.
I think I might not have been clear. It's not really an ease in issue. That's easy to control with Graph Editor. It's the problem of the path curve that AE introduces that I don't have control over.
Here is my problem. I created an animation path with 3 keyframes - points: A, B and C (with B being the middle point). Here is the image.

Next, I want the object to animate from point A to B. And then stay there for a little bit then move to point C. So I duplicated B keyframe and just pasted it a little bit after the original B in the timeline. I'll called it B-2.

Well, that introduces this weird wiggle while to object is in between point B-1 and point B-2. It goes kind of up and down. You can see it a little bit in the screen capture above. These are the same exact keyframes / points in space. But After Effects automatically introduces a curve in the motion between them. Unchecking Spacial Interpolation in AE preferences will not help, because the keyframes have curves information in them already. And I need those curves. I just need to get rid of the outgoing curve on B-1 and get rid of the incoming curve on B-2.
Graph editor does not help here. I can see it gives control of the timing and velocity. I don't see a way to adjust the path curve here.

What I really need is the numerical way to zero out the tangent on one side or on the other of the keyframe/point. Here is an example how to do it in C4D.

But, I can not figure out how to access this in AE, except manually trying to adjust the bezier handle. But it's imposible to perfectly zero it out even if I zoom in really close.

That's somewhat complicated explanation. I hope you guys got it and someone can help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Editing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:37:34 pm

Not at all, you explained it perfectly.

As far as I know of, AE doesn't let you set spatial interpolation per its In or Out state of keyframes. So yep, you gota change the curve through the viewport. It's what I do in this case. But never once I got to the point that I coulden't (visualy) zero out any wiggle in an animation.

Return to posts index

Jim DarskiRe: Editing Keyframe tangents numerically
by on Jun 4, 2013 at 10:57:50 pm

Interesting. I found that zeroing it out using handles it to be pretty painful and in accurate. Especially on the keyframe that have same values. Try do do it with an object set to Auto-orient Along the Path. The object is turning all around instead of staying in one place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]