ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Upcoming Motion Tracking Project. ..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableUpcoming Motion Tracking Project. ..
by on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:07:23 pm

Hi, I am looking for some advice on both preparation and post production on a video shoot I have coming up at the end of this month.

The shoot takes place in a large warehouse, there is one actor, delivering a script to camera.
The main camera will be tracking along with the actor as he continually walks towards the viewer. As he delivers the script, he makes gestures with his hands and body which cause keywords from the script and descriptive graphics to appear. All graphics will be created as 3d layers in AE, using AE, Photoshop and Illustrator.

(He might say 'BALANCE' and the word balance pops out of the palm of his hand as text and momentarily rests on his hand. and so on.)

This will be a multi camera shoot on Ex3s with XDcam workflow. Mixture of crane, steadicam, tracking/dolly shots.

The client has seen this:

This is similar to what we would like to achieve, yet with much simpler graphics, as there is only really me doing the post, and 3 weeks budget to do it.

1. This job will involve a lot of motion tracking., Not done a great deal of this..Is there anything I should prepare pre shoot to make the tracking easier? I am hoping not to have to rotoscope the whole thing, but should I consider using tracking markers on set?

2. Are there any lighting considerations?

3. The finished edit will be delivered online eventually, is it fine to shoot it 1080p 25fps?

4. I have just spent a few days getting my head around Mocha in AE CS6. But from what I can see Mocha is suitable for planar typer tracking. Im guessing with following a hand or head I should use a point tracker? Can you do point tracking of this type in Mocha? If not whats best to use?

5. Anyone done anything like this before!? Any good resources I can check out?

Final note.

Thankfully I still have 4 weeks until we go into production, be great if anyone can give me some advice on approaches to this type of thing, and what to watch out for.

Thanks for reading…

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Upcoming Motion Tracking Project. ..
by on Apr 27, 2013 at 12:21:15 am

[Eugene Constable] "(He might say 'BALANCE' and the word balance pops out of the palm of his hand as text and momentarily rests on his hand. and so on.)"

EXACTLY how the words appear from the palm and how and where the camera and palm are positioned will greatly impact the amount of post work - ie. if rotoscoping will be involved.

Keep this in mind when planning the shot.

With respect to your Qs - the only rotoscoping that may be required is covered in my first paragraph. When tracking (not the palm) the wall or talent, mocha should be able to do a good job. If you do require markers, on the wall, you can place these such the talent does not crossover the markers. This precludes you having to key or roto out the markers.

I have no idea on lighting other than to keep it muted so as to allow for maximum tweaking during post. This is an area where you should develop 'looks' prior to the shoot.

Mocha is great for tracking hands, head or seemingly non-planar surfaces. Take a look at face replacement mocha tutorials to see examples of planar surfaces that exist on a face. Google "face replacement mocha" to find such tutorials.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved