ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to get this sort of shadow?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris law
How to get this sort of shadow?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 8:50:09 pm

I have got a example image here of what im trying to achieve in after effects, I've got a shape similar one in the example but the typical drop shadow effect doesn't really give the nice bottom shadow effect effect. I was wondering if perhaps a distortion effect has been used to shape the shape layer to cast this kind of shadow. To me it looks much better from a design point of view than a drop shadow all around the shape layer and im just interested if anyone knows how to make my shape layers look more dynamic in that sense. Thanks :)I also tried a radial shadow but that didn't seem to work.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: How to get this sort of shadow?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 9:02:48 pm

1. Create your text and the yellow bkg as 2 layers then put them in a precomp.

2. Place that precomp in another comp with a white solid layer behind the precomp

3. Make the precomp a 3D layer and move it forward on the Z axis.

4. Add a camera and a light.

5. Make sure Create Shadows is active on the light and the precomp.

6. Adjust to taste.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 24, 2013 at 9:45:06 pm

I just did this with a light shining on a 3D layer, with the white background layer a curved 3D layer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:01:08 pm

Curved background layer.. Thats a nice twist. :D

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:47:29 am

A simple 2d way of using this is to create the curved shadow shape on a black solid using a mask (Add) and then to feather the sides using two other masks (Subtract). You can add a Fast Blur to soften the Shadow overall.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 25, 2013 at 2:26:59 pm

I would:

1) duplicate the layer to be shadowed
2) add a Generate Fill effect set to Black
3) apply a distort effect. Warp is easy and it works in this case. Another option would be Bezier Warp.
4) blur and adjust position/size/opacity to taste.

You could also blur some before the warp. Maybe only along the horizontal, or different amounts along the horizontal and vertical (it looks like this is what was done in the posted image).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris law
on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:04:31 pm

Hi thanks for the help but theres something going on when Im trying to do it using a light, if any of you use CS6 I have the comp link here. Theres these weird lines being cast rather than a shadow as if somethings wrong. 5913_noteshadowtest.aep.zip

Also i tried darby's method and it worked quite nicely although im just intrested in getting this other way working as well.

Thanks for all your replies and I should add that in the project file I was trying to get the shadows to work on the text first, to just check the shadows are working correctly. But even that isn't working. The only thing I want the shadow on is the yellow shape though.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 25, 2013 at 4:54:33 pm

One thing to note: you can't curve a solid as Todd suggested in the Classic 3D renderer. You can only do that in the Ray-traced renderer.

The lines you're seeing may be due to layers being too close together in 3D space or the light shining at a glancing angle to the layers. After Effects can get confused about what's in front of what and how to render the shadows in that scenario (I should mention that the ray-traced renderer also fixes that in every case but coplanar layers, those that occupy the exact same space). If you don't want to use the ray-traced renderer for performance reasons then here are some things you can try to alleviate the issue:

1) Move the layers a little farther from each other in 3D space.
2) Increase the Shadow Map resolution in Composition Settings > Advanced > Renderer > Options... I'd recommend going for the maximum 4000px size.
3) Move the light so that it is more in front of or behind the layers (i.e. placed so that the Z axis of the layer is pointing more at the light rather than the X or Y axis).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]