ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Requesting your thoughts on this shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Tougas
Requesting your thoughts on this shot
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:28:01 am

Hey gang, first time posting. :-) I wanted to get peoples' opinions on this shot:

Alright, so although I'm hoping this isn't the case, I expect that far more qualified eyes than mine have picked out at least a few flaws in this green-screen key.

The reason I am posting this is that I can't tell anymore if it looks real (or real enough) after having worked on it for a while. The only remarkable flaw that I can't seem to get rid of, short of rotoscoping it out, is the white glow around my actor's left (screen right) ear.

So, I guess, my two questions are the following:

1. What additional things could/should I do to improve it?
2. When evaluating your own work, how does one combat the placebo effect of knowing that it's fake from the get-go?

For those of you interested in what I've already done, here's a short list:

- Pulled the initial key with Keylight 1.2, clipping blacks and whites to size
- Eliminated green spill in my foreground using Hue/Saturation
- Applied Levels to my background to narrow the output blacks and whites (simulating looking through the windows' glass)
- Applied Optics Compensation on my background to match the initial plate's wide angle lens distortion
- Added back the carpet's, ceiling's and the lamp's reflections in the glass

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Requesting your thoughts on this shot
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:38:19 pm

Pas mal.

The lighting on the subject looks a bit dark, otherwise not bad. I'd adjust the colour balance on the subject using Curves.

The skyline of Montreal looks great.

Return to posts index

Ryan Stubbs
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:39:00 pm

I think that looks pretty great. The one main thing that stood out for me is that the frame around the window appears to be very two dimensional, and the room appears to be floating in space. I would recommend you make some part of the building/window frame sticking out outside, to make some sort of a sill. That should help give the shot some nice depth, and sell the effect.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Tougas
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:44:37 pm

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that I added a little Camera Lens Blur to the skyline, to the tune of 3,0 blur radius, does that seem appropriate?

Ridley, merci! I was leaving the colour-correction until later, but your comment made me realize that my background was already at the level I wanted it, so I needed to correct the foreground. Here's how it turned out: I think it's really popping now. :-D I threw a mask over the desk lamp to keep it from blowing out, because I like the shade's texture. Was that the right decision, you think?

Ryan, that is a very astute observation. I'll attempt adding a frame tonight or tomorrow at some point and let you know how it goes. (I'm probably going to try to draw something up in GIMP/Photoshop and then import it into AE. The shot is locked off, so it should be relatively straightforward. Just wondering, would that be your approach too?)

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:21:40 pm

[Gabriel Tougas] "Ridley, merci! I was leaving the colour-correction until later, but your comment made me realize that my background was already at the level I wanted it, so I needed to correct the foreground. Here's how it turned out: I think it's really popping now. :-D I threw a mask over the desk lamp to keep it from blowing out, because I like the shade's texture. Was that the right decision, you think?
"

From my perspective, its better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]