ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samantha Bodestabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:23:42 am

Hi All!

I am trying to stabilize some footage and was wondering if I could get some pointers.

The footage was shot on a 5D with a 20 MM prime lens. It is aerial footage portraying the path of different holes on a golf course, shot using a tiny helicopter with a gimble head. I have tried EVERYTHING that I know of (warp stabilizer, mocha, lock and load, foundry's rolling shutter) and I keep getting the same results. JELLO!

My workflow right now is this: I warp stabilize the footage in after effects, adjusting the settings according to the shot, render it out, and that looks great! However, my next step is where the problem comes in. I bring it in to final cut, do some speed ramping, and realize that my footage (because of the drastic speed changes) looks shaky again. I then re-export out and bring the footage back into after effects, and do another warp stabilizer. This is where the jello happens. Any suggestions? What can I do so that I can speed ramp my footage without it being all vibration filled and shaky, but also without jello?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:02:43 am

try frame interpolation with timewarp/twixtor. It will average/smooth out the frames so that you can speed ramp

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:16:34 am

I suggest doing the speed changes before you do any stabilization and try to stabilize after.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 25, 2013 at 5:27:14 pm

When shooting aerial footage, the gimbal system needs to have a stabilization system to offset the copter's vibrations. Cheap gimbals give you the result that you have, which just won't work.

There are people for hire with good systems. A typical multirotor system and gimbal will be around 10 grand or more. There camera quadricopter systems for the GoPro 3 coming out very soon that do great shots for under 2 grand.

This doesn't help with your question, but it will save you all the issues in the future.

Look at some of the new NAB videos or google Quad copter gimbel systems. Lot's of YouTube videos too.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Samantha BodeRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:21:23 am

Thank you for your replies! Unfortunately, we tried to do the speed ramp before the stabilization, and still no dice. As for the different kind of rig, I will pass that information on to my producer. Thanks everyone, and if you think of anything else that I could possible do to stabilize the current footage that I have, my ears are open!

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Samantha BodeRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:14:55 pm

This is the rig we used:

Photohigher AV200 with the skyline stabilizer hardware

Also, I should note that the conditions were extremely windy. Is there just no way to get around the shaking and bumping?

Thanks!

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:27:45 pm

Once motion blur and extreme movement is recorded into a video file, I know of no way to eliminate it.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Jun 30, 2013 at 6:18:43 am

a little off topic, but if your footage is blurry, reelsmart motionblur set at -2 neg 2, removes blur

Return to posts index

Sarah BrightRe: stabilizing EXTREMELY vibration filled, shaky aerial footage from a 5D
by on Apr 26, 2014 at 3:44:03 pm

Hi Sam,
Can I pick your brains as to what settings you used on your jello footage in AE?
I have some jello issues with some Red Epic footage and I'm struggling to get any resolve in AE with the warp stabalizer and rolling shutter.

If you can help that would be awesome.

Sarah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]